Very low wattage electric heater?

whoa..... a *heated* chisel cupboard.....????

now ya jus biggin yoself up ..

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I went really posh, anti condensation heated the whole workshop! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I was going to suggest, as others have, that a wing mirror demister can be had from any roadside. Then I thought where to get the 12V from - which meant transformer... And of course, you only need the transformer: if your box is insulated I expect even just leaving a phone charger or even laptop transformer in it will keep it above freezing. Just add thermostat.

More elegantly I have what was I think sold as a drum warming tape for home beer making. It is a 'silky snake' a metre long, presumably with electric blanket element inside. I have had it hung in an insulated cupboard with a

20C thermostat on for many years - it keeps my wine demijohns bubbling.

And another alternative would be some of that underfloor heating matting, which you can cut to size. It's in our new shower unit, which is not much bigger than your box.

Spamlet

In message , Nick writes

Thinking laterally

does it contain lettuce, tomatoes or ganga?

Is it hermetically sealed?

If not, why not get a rabbit and us the enclosure as a hutch

its body heat will keep the temperature above zero and, come the spring, you will have a fine meal

Reply to
geoff

Japanese chisels. You can pay serious money for good, wide ones. I could also buy another Norris for the price of the iron from one of my planes. It doubled in price overnight when the smith died. I keep that one in the lounge!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

But no lettuce left to go with it!

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

enclosure from freezing.

mmm shurely even an un-stoned hungry rabbit would *probably* manage to scrat/eat its way out of a wooden box?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Yes, but still fragile, and still a single point of failure. You're better off running 2 parallel circuits of underrun bulb or bulbs, such that either one alone gives enough power.

The neater way to do this is with 2 lightbulbs, each supplied via a

1kV diode. A 1N4007 is rated at 1A, so will handle a lamp of apx 0.1A =3D a 25w lamp max. I'd far rather use capacitors, more reliable, greater max lamp power and adjustability. 2.2uF with a 40w bulb would give you in the region of what you want.
Tabby

In article , Nick writes

Last year B&Q were selling some low wattage (about 50 I think) thermostatically controlled heaters for about £10 (IIRC)

Reply to
John