Ventilation in the cellar; suck or blow?

It'll be fine if the controls are "dumb". Or buy a smart one with a built in timer :)

It's the ones with push buttons that can reset "off" when you remove and reapply power externally.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Oh - I assumed I spelt something wrong - often do :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

No - but it would if you switched it several times an hour.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Nice warm relatively damp air that cools and drops it's moisture load...

Cool relatively dry air, could be good in summer, for the house.

Proabably summer air can have a very low RH. The air flow direction could proably be controlled with some humidistats and temperature stats but thats getting complicated.

Dehumidifier, tank and sump pump seem the best solution. I'm not overly convinced about only running the dehumidifier for, at most, 7 hrs/day. I can't help feeling that is going to lead to the damp levels rising and falling rather than reaching a steady state after a few months. Things tend to be happy a bit damp or dry but constantly changing is not good.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Musty air is not good to bring into the main house. Re damp air going into the cellar from house, its only a little bit of leakage.

In theory yes, but you'd still need to shift far more air than 3 airbricks, and the control systems arent available.

the only practical solution really

Wood hates damp, and will cease to exist if kept damp. Damp cellar masonry prefers damp to dry, but dry is required to make it livable. But you will b e in a permanent struggle of brickwork permeability versus dehumidifier. Bi tumen coating the underground walls won't seal them fully, but will reduce the damp load massively, and salt formation due to drying.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I was planning to switch it on once a day (& obviously off once a day).

Reply to
Adam Funk

Thanks.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Well, I assumed "spel" up there was a joke!

Reply to
Adam Funk

The timber in the ceiling of this cellar (floor of the living room) looks & feels fine. The dampness issue is just about "mustiness" in general & affecting some of the plastic brewing equipment I'd like to store down there, & a little bit of rust on hand tools, especially close to the floor (of the cellar). So I don't think I need a lot of dehumidification.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Thanks for the advice.

Reply to