Vaulted Ceiling Madness

Landing ceiling is in need of replacement. I had a vague notion of a vaulted ceiling above the stair well. What are the pros and cons? Obviously 2 main cons are harder to heat and more costly insulation. But air is easy to heat and provided insulation is good enough should not be a problem and anyhow this is a landing where cooler temperatures are acceptable.

Plan:

---------------------------------- exterior wall | | | stairwell | | | r | : | o | : | o | : | bedroom m | : | | : | | : | |............ | / | | ../ | | landing | x \ \

---------------------------------- exterior wall

The 2 walls diving the stairwell are supporting walls, the only extra wallage is a span over the landing at 'x' on the plan. Roof construction is 30's purlin, original timber and tiles. I need to provide structure to stop rafter splay in lieu of the ceiling joists.

How do I form the insulation in the rafters, vapour check etc Other considerations... or is this mad? I take it this is BCO notifiable.

Reply to
visionset

I'm not entirely clear on this point, are you wanting to fit a valuted ceiling below the existing flat one? If so I cant see any possible reason for it to increase heat loss nor require BCO involvement. If anything it would reduce heat loss.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I don't see how I could possibly fit one below, but no, I mean get rid of existing flat ceiling open it up to the rafters and finish the ceiling parallel to the rafters leaving the purlins exposed or partially exposed.

Reply to
visionset

Have you considered leaving the joists across as feature beams?

You might be able to remove every second joist in the same manner as cutting out a loft hatch.

I think I'd get a structural engineer to cast his beady over the plans before you start sawing.

Are you going to put a Velux at the top?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

right, a bit different to what I was thinking. Youve got the loft floor structure to deal with. Insulation would be effective in countering the increased exposed area.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

How are you planning to provide ventilation at the apex of the new vaulted ceiling? I'd think warm/moist air from downstairs rooms/kitchen to find its way here. What form are the existing roof trusses? I'd think the redesign of these would be the key BC issue. Otherwise something from the kingspan range

is probably right for insulation at the roofline. What about cables and pipes that cross above the current ceiling? Studwork partitions to extend the walls either side up to the roofline? New loft hatch somewhere for the "orphaned" portion of the loft space?

Reply to
dom

I wasn't, should I? I expect the insulation to be adequate enough to prevent condensation in the same way I don't have a problem with existing ceilings. Maybe I'm wrong.

Like I say traditional purlin construction, that is brick piers support purlins at 18" purlins on top that support all the rafters. Ridge and gully timbers and rosemary tiles.

I haven't done the calcs but I expect the highest performance material for depth and lots of £££

No pipes, just finished moveing to combi as a precursor to this possible work. Otherwise lighting ring and alarm cable to consider. They can go in conduit in the wall easy enough.

Yes

Thought about a door in the new studwork, don't really want a hatch in the master bedroom.

Apart from all of this and other stuff I'm sure someone will point out...

Will it look okay, will it be liveable and above all will whoever I sell it to like it, want it or see it as a problem?

Reply to
visionset

This is 30's house joists aren't much of a feature. The purlins however are quite impressive.

mmmm, £££££'s

Well originally the plan was to have a mezzanine level over the stairwell as well. But the loft height is reduced since the roof is dropped over the 1st floor, ie their are rafter slopes in the bedrooms. So it really isn't feasible, perhaps some storage space though?? If that had been doable then there would have been a velux, but I've a huge half landing window, so a velux would be a trivial addition lightwise.

Reply to
visionset

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com" writes

We have something like this in our entrance hall. The original structure was single storey pitched roof barn with a through walkway.

The architects wanted to retain the *through* feature so we agreed to have a door either side. The new roof is conventional rafter construction with rockwool insulation trapped by plaster board right up to the apex. The purlins are exposed with oversize raised collars in alternate positions just below. There is a vertical access hatch in the

*orphaned* loft but the collar crosses in front so requires a degree of agility. Looks OK:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb