USB Memory sticks

I did that too!

The Elliot 803/Agol-60 stuff...used it for a private project calculating satellite orbits. You had to book a time-slot on the computer, but as you turned up with a punched-paper tape, no-one knew what the work was...

Terry Fields

Reply to
Terry Fields

I had a regularly used Sandisk Titanium memory stick that disappeared off my keyring a few years ago. It then turned up one evening, underfoot on my drive. No idea where it had been in the interim, certainly not in the car, house or on the drive. Maybe a cat or a magpie picked it up. Either way it looked like it has been outside for some time.

I soaked it in isopropyl to remove any gunge and dried it out. The connector was quite badly damaged with corrosion, but after I fitted a new one I discovered from the file dates it had been missing for about three and a half years.

Reply to
The Other Mike

On looks and solidity I would too but only if you *never* want to transport them around as the method to attach them to a keyring is dire. Even with an upgraded high quality split ring they still tend to just drop off and disappear from a small bunch of keys, either for a short while or many years (see my other post!)

The best mechanical ones have large moulded in holes. 7dayshop do some Lexar ones that were well built and with a casing that won't split or fall off a keyring if you fart in the wrong direction.

Reply to
The Other Mike

1st n 2nd in Waterlooville. I get everything (computer) there.
Reply to
Bob Martin

1968 then.

It was around until well into the 70s.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

  1. That was all too common and exceedingly frustrating, especially as we didn't have the luxury of a text editor. We prepared our programs loghand then typed them directly into a Teletype whose output was a paper tape, plus a printed copy from a tear-off roll of paper. The roll of tape was left with the 'computer operator' and if we were lucky they would put it in a batch to be run overnight

Typos? Tough luck!! Goto 1.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

Pah! all this modern stuff. Now, when I was at Bletchley.....

David

Reply to
David P

Exactly so. Kingston isn't exactly pricey anyway and I don't mind paying for a genuine article. Fwiw, I've never had a Kingston failure and have been using them for years.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I was using paper tape on an 803 in 1965, and cards on a 7094 in 1967.

Reply to
Tim Streater

7094 in 1967? Where was that? I was a CE on CEGB's 7094 but that had been replaced by 360s by 1967. Wasn't aware of any others.
Reply to
Bob Martin

Imperial College. It was there for some years after I left.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I was using it at NCR in 1974.

Reply to
djc

When I started at ITT in 1975, we booted the 3200s from paper tape, and it was used to store all our source - we wrote our (ESPL/1) code onto coding sheets, and the punch room punched it onto paper tape. You could get them to correct errors or do updates, or you could do it yourself on a KSR/33. The punch room operators could read paper tape by eye. I left ITT in May 1976, and paper tape was still in wide use there then.

Reply to
Huge

Amazing. By then where I was at CERN we'd moved onto keeping source on disk and editing it on glass terminals.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Go for a relible make like Kingston and get them from a ruputable dealer there were a lot of fake ones about a while ago...

some shops were selling fakes.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Fantastic Maxie, fantastic! Did it have valves?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Maxie, do you use backup software that only updates not overwriting the lot?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I believe, before my time, that in the 1960s, the Olivetti was the first "smallish" electronic mains powered calculator - with a paper roll.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

These were embedded systems, not general purpose computers - we were developing a PABX.

In my next job I was doing MUMPS development. We kept everything online.

Reply to
Huge

We were also developing for essentially embedded systems - PDP-11/10 with no peripherals except a data link and a teletype. So I could develop the software on a mainframe, cross-compile it and boot the PDP-11 over the datalink with the image I'd just created.

Reply to
Tim Streater