Under-floor insulation board sealant recommendation

I've put some celotex between the joists of a ground floor room. Any recommendations for the best adhesive/sealant to make sure it stays fixed, and to fill some of the gaps - no more than a few mm?

Reply to
RJH

Foam gun.

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

+1 Fill the gaps with foam. As you will have found, it's not possible to fit exactly, you can waste a lot of time trying. Important every tiny gap is filled or the wholejob is a waste of time It's best to cut the foam undersize and supprt with a few temporary nails into the joists

If you have any bits left over cover the wall immediately below the horizontal foam. This reduces heat from tracking round your floor insulation through the brickwork.

Reply to
harryagain

In message , harryagain writes

And if you haven't got one, get and use a proper gun to use with the cans of foam.

Much more controllable and the half used can doesn't end up unusable cos it's all bunged up.

Reply to
chris French

OK, thanks. Thing is, with foam, I've found it hard to get a neat bead of say 1cm. Unless it's fed very quickly along the gap, I've tended to end up with huge wodges of the stuff where it's not needed, that's then a mess to clear up, and a waste.

I take it a gun helps with this? And just any old generic foam:

RJH

Yes, it's an entirely different experience using a gun. so mcuh more contollable.

I've got that one I think - or very similar, came from screwfix or toolstation

Using the black knob you can adjust it down to give a slow flow of foam, for a narrow bead of a few mm, or open it up for a big squirt. And the trigger is also much more controllable.

When you stop, just screw down the black knob and wipe the end. It is then fine to use again the next time. Squirt through some cleaner when you change the can

Reply to
chris French

+1. I got the gun from Toolstation and used Screwfix Gun Grade Foam. Worked very well.
Reply to
gremlin_95

Got one from Screwfix and their basic gun foam. Just the job, even I can do it. Wish I'd known about these things earlier, thanks very much.

Reply to
RJH