Ultrasonic testing of a domestic oil tank for corrosion

The fun thing about moving to a new house is the whole pile of new things to learn about! Here's the next: testing oil tanks for corrosion.

I believe it's possible to use ultrasonics to test a single-skin steel tank for corrosion, but can't find much about it on t'web. Has anyone here had it done? If so, what was the cost?

(I briefly wondered about trying to design a DIY tester, but as the years roll by I just want to get things done rather than taking-on new projects, especially projects for projects ;-) )

Reply to
nospam

Non destructive thickness determination.

It is surprising how well (good old) Hammerite can last after the steel has rusted through. Our old tank developed a leak after being overfilled (they delivered fuel to the wrong address!).

I had it replaced and the guy who put the new tank in was convinced that I was being over cautious because most of the tank looked sound. However there was a line around the base where the water fuel boundary was that was wafer thin. When they came to lift the tank off its base the tank bottom stayed put and pealed away from the box section.

Pretty much has to be bunded these days. If it isn't leaking then a good coat of classic Hammerite every 5 years will extend its lifetime. I don't know if the modern eco friendly formulation is any good.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Given that so many paints have reformulated and made poorer in the name of reducing their VOC, how come you can still buy white spirit by the gallon, which AFAICMO is pure VOC?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's been available for years. We used it on steam boilers. It was part of an insurance inspection.

There's stuff here:-

harry

You might consider getting rid and having a ground/air source heat pump. Subsidies available?

Reply to
harry

Any one else spot the deliberate mistake?

Well tow, but we will let him off the misspelling of 'peel'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

Shall we ignore yours, tow? Oh, two. No, to. Oh, OK, too :-)

Reply to
Graeme

Well so is petrol although you try not to let too much evaporate, I suppose.

But you win twice with water based paints. No VOCs, and no need for white spirit for thinning or cleaning.

Reply to
newshound

Less so with water based dyes and varnishes, you sand the wood down nicely and it keeps raising the grain, you can't give it more that the /lightest/ rub down or you lose the colour :-(

Reply to
Andy Burns