UK construction career help

Hi all, i have been working in the civil engineers dept of a construction company for the last 5 years and have decided now i want to get myself a career, im tempted to go into Health and Safety, what is your opinion of this is there a demand or is the market flooded with H&S people, what type of £ are H&S people earning. My alternative is to work with a plumber and learn that trade but he will not let me go to college but said he will purchase all relevant books etc etc. Decisions, Decisions, please advise

Thanks

SJ Replace cold with hot for email

Reply to
SJ

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:44:31 +0000, a particular chimpanzee named SJ randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

You haven't said what your current qualifications are.

There is a shortage of Building Control Surveyors (AFAIK it's the same for most kinds of Building Surveyors), and I heard a report that the Seller's Packs for house sales coming in in 2005 will mean a need for tens of thousands of extra Valuation Surveyors.

Hugo Nebula

Sorry, ok IT / security analyst 3 years, nebosh general cert, employment law (module from legal executive) data protection course, etc etc, no qualification in construction as such but considering either nebosh construction or nvq 3 in health and safety

Reply to
SJ

"Career: To travel wildly and out of control downhill to eventual disaster" Also, "to be conned into thinking that by gaining expereince in one narrow field of expertise, you will have a secure job for life, professional status, and a pension."

Chisrt, if ou don't know the answers already, I'd say the only 'career' you are fitted out for is the media or politics. They ONLY employ people who don't know anything about the subjects they get involved in.

I'd stick to plumbing, and go to night school at your own expense, and ditch the plumber who won't take you on.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How many H&S people does a normal sized firm employ? - 1 or it is combined with another job function. The larger firms will have one old guy who has been in the job for eons, and will not let it go for another 50 years or so.

There may be some work as a trainer or other consultant, but I would not say enough to motivate you to consider it without a definite job offer and prospects.

Pay is not that good either.

If this plumber does not let you attend college, then you are not learning a trade. He will show you how HE does things, and how HE thinks things should be done, so you end up with his narrow experience and his bad habits. You need some other references to help you learn, not just one.

A plumber does not have a career, it is a job. But it can form a good background to an eventual technical/managerial position.

Do you want to work just to pay the bills and for holidays, or do you want to improve yourself and your knowledge? You have to have a short, medium and long term objective, and plan your eventual job/career to achieve it.

I cant see how your only alternative is a job with a plumber. Surely with your previous experience and current work there are other opportunities?

dg

Reply to
dg