TV in kitchen - regs?

Dave Plowman wrote:

It's not the cost so much as the space needed and the extra clutter of cabling and the like which I was hoping to avoid.
Actually, I've just discovered the perfect piece of kit which will do exactly what I want, but it's very pricey and seem only to be available from the USA:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
And I would need extra remotes...
Bert

$1100!!!!
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 27th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.

I'm sure there are lots of ready made solutions - at a price. Mine does exactly what I wanted it to, and didn't cost a fortune. But then I did build the custom bits myself. And if you do design and build something yourself it is usually easy to extend it later if needed. Unlike a commercial solution which will be obsolete quickly.
--
*Vegetarians taste great*

Dave Plowman wrote:

Surprisingly, that doesn't appear to be the case. So far I've found only one, the Monoprice package I mentioned earlier.
And perhaps I should apologise for saying this on a group that's ostensibly devoted to DIY but I wouldn't object to paying for a commercial product that could do the job, especially if I couldn't achieve as neat and efficient a method myself.
Bert

I've looked at a few out of interest over the years and some do pretty well what I want. But involve using *only* their products like amps etc linked to their controllers.
Of course many will want and pay for some sort of wireless solution. Simply for the convenience of this - regardless of the actual performance. Exactly the same as wireless doorbells. ;-)
--
*If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Dave Plowman wrote:

On the whole I would always prefer a wired connection to a wireless one. As with putting one's CDs and DVDs onto hard disk, bringing in an extra layer of technology seems to me to be a good way of increasing the chances of something going wrong.
Bert

Doing that last actually reduces the chances of something going wrong because hard drives are in fact much more reliable than the drive you put the CDs and DVDs into and there is no possibility of scratching the CDs and DVDs once you have ripped them.
Yes, duplicating the hard drive so you lose nothing if it dies does double the cost but they are now so cheap that that is a very minor problem.
Personally I prefer the wireless approach just because you don't have to fart around wiring the entire house.
I just have a device wherever I need to hear the audio or watch the video, and those stream from my central server over wifi. Works fine for both audio and for the recordings done on the PVR which is now the same machine as the central server. I never watch any TV live anymore, its all recorded and I watch it when it suits me and the separate devices wherever I want to watch/hear stuff allows me to select what I want to watch/hear and skip ads or backup and repeat bits I missed etc.
With audio I mostly just use the smartphone now because it can be setup to automatically download the podcasts that I listen to and allows me to listen anywhere in the house when doing something boring like bottling the beer or digging the garden etc and the same device works fine when out walking for exercise too.
Rod Speed wrote:

While that might well be true, my feelings are somewhat coloured by the fact that in all my years of owning and using them I have never had any CD or DVD drive go wrong or damage a disk. On the other hand, I've lost count of the number of hard drives I've had which have failed.
Bert
On 03/09/2016 23:14, Bert Coules wrote:

CDs and DVDs scratch, and writeable ones degrade. I would treat them as really bad for archival.
The only way IMO is out to a third party, ie something cloudy. Let them take care of replacing the hard disks.
"Huge" wrote:

It's available for a good deal less than that.
Bert
On Friday, 2 September 2016 17:51:09 UTC+1, Bert Coules wrote:

io

You can use speaker volume controls. It's better and easier if you used 100 V speakers - multi channels of 100V speaker level audio were carried on a m ulticore cable to passive bedhead units with a vol control (multi tap atten uator) and channel selector in hotels and hospitals - but you could do it w ith low impedance (8 ohm) audio. The drawback with low imp is that adjustin g one speaker can affect the others.
If you want to distribute at line level and have local amps then you could also distribute say a 24 volt power feed along with the signal wires.
100V attenuators http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/58-294_MUSTANG-MVC-6SR-100V-LINE-VOLUME-C ONTROL-6W-programme-selector-relay-stainless-steel https://www.cybermarket.co.uk/shop/public-address/100v-line-volume-controls /att-224-ws-24w-100v-line-pa-volume-1022992.html
low imedance vol control (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Owain
Owain, thanks for that. As you might now have seen from my previous post I've found a US kit which answers all my needs.
Bert

100v line may be convenient for some things, but is never better. Decent transformers ain't cheap. Maybe OK is just using very efficient speakers - but most would be considering ordinary domestic speakers of one sort or another. Other thing is with less than perfect speakers, an individual amp can apply bass boost etc to help them along, as well as setting the volume. With one amp and 100v line, you could only do this if all the speakers are the same.

Beauty of my system is being able to use cheap and small cable. Running enough low volt DC for a power amp would require heavier cable. And is getting complicated.
--
*IF YOU TRY TO FAIL, AND SUCCEED, WHICH HAVE YOU DONE?

On 02/09/2016 16:36, Bert Coules wrote:

Would you be happy to use a smart phone or tablet to do the controlling?
For an out of the box solution you could look at the Sonos speakers. They do a very good job of keeping in sync while streaming to multiple speakers over a mixture of ethernet and wifi.
--
Cheers,

John.
John Rumm wrote:

Only if I could have one permanently kept in each room. But if I were to do that, could I use them as (very) remote controls? How would that work?
Software permitting, perhaps I could have the input selection options displayed as "Radio channel 1, 2, 3..." and so on (only with the actual names) rather than "Amp input 1, 2, 3...") I should like that.
Bert

Would you guarantee sync over this? Ie two speakers with the same signal not giving an annoying echo if heard at the same time? That's the beauty of analogue - very difficult to introduce such a delay. Even two FreeView TVs - or two DAB radios, all tuned to the same station will produce this annoying echo.
--
*I didn't like my beard at first. Then it grew on me.*

100v line isn't ideal these days. Not where you want a semblance of quality.
It dates from the days when amplifiers were very expensive and sound quality didn't much matter. It tends to be reserved for public address systems these days.
--
*Funny, I don't remember being absent minded.

I did this with audio many many years ago. I have 5 analogue stereo circuits running round the house. One carries the audio from the main sound system in the lounge. The other four have radio tuners - preset to those I listen to.
The TV in the kitchen has an HDMI feed from the PVR in the lounge - but I usually have the sound via the analogue system.
The big snag when you go to any form of digital for audio is differing delays. Very annoying if you can hear two at once.
--
*Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

On Friday, 2 September 2016 15:13:36 UTC+1, Bert Coules wrote:

This chap looks like he's doing something interesting:
http://hazymat.co.uk/2015/04/multi-room-audio-options/
GPIO controlled so an arduino / raspi could be linked in?
Owain
On 02/09/16 15:07, Bert Coules wrote:

The CDs and DVDS rip very fast, though they may need format converting to MP3/MP4.
My pragmatic advice there would be 'if you want to watch it, rip it' and then its done for good and you can keep the oroigianls as backupop
Tapes - that's a BIG job. can really only be done in real time. Replace with CD/DVD wherever possible

I am not sure.
If you have a DTV adapter for a PC you can use freeview radio channels, and there is supposed to be some sort of LAN broadcast protocol but I never used it. Easer to simply have the PCs tuned to whatever radio station is wanted over the internet.
Hmm there are several audio over IP options, but I have not played with any of them. So cannot really offer any useful advice
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/streaming.html
is probably a good place to start.
VLC can read a Digital terrestrial TC or DAB dingle under linux IIRC. and can act as a LAN server and other VLC instances can pick up the audio/video stream and reproduce it locally.
Raspberry Pis can run VLC too.
I think I once got this working, but it didnt do what *I* was after. Which was essentially DLNA serving.

"Saki"