TV in kitchen - regs?

I've searched around for the answer to this but haven't found it as yet: is there any regulation concerning placing a small wall-mounted 12V TV set in a kitchen?
I have a blank area above a draining board, partly protected from splashes and steam by a 6" deep shelf which runs the length of that wall. It seems like the obvious place to mount a smallish TV, say 17" or so. There are specially-designed water- and steam-proof sets intended for bathrooms but would one of them be overkill for a kitchen? Is there any reason why I shouldn't use a conventional set?
Many thanks.
On 02/09/16 09:30, Bert Coules wrote:

Might be OK as there is not really that much steam emitted from a sink, other than when you drain boiling water into it. Try dumping a pan of water down the sink and see where the steam cloud goes.
On 02/09/16 11:11, Tim Watts wrote:

I've had two kitchens with TVS so far. Mount high up LCDs beat CRTs for safety .
--
"If you don’t read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Thanks. A small-screen LCD or similar set, perhaps slightly recessed into the wall and with a shelf beneath, ought to be pretty safe, I think.
Bert
On 02/09/16 11:28, Bert Coules wrote:

Listening to one on a wall bracket right now. 20" or so.
Its above a kettle. Samsung. hasn't missed a beat. Best way to do cooking is watching some crap like NCIS...
I SHOULD have got a smart one so I could watch stored videos on the server, too..
--
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
Thanks again.
On 02/09/16 11:53, Bert Coules wrote:

Well what I did was pretty simple.
I ran up minidlna on a linux server I have - I admit I ended up compiling from source and hacking it a little, but if you are happy to accept its default behaviour that's not needed.
I told it where the videos are.
And that's it. Any TV style client on the home network can 'see' it, and as its a network drive as well, so can any PC that has that drive mounted.
IF you are going that route I strongly suggest you use an old PC and install shitloads of disk, and Linux. Then remove screen and keyboard and let it gurgle.
Basically you will need NFS server for linux clients, SAMBA for PC and MAC clients and minidlna for TVs and I think Xboxen..
If your TV aint smart, a DVD player that is, is peanuts.
If you keep a screen and keyboard on the server you can use that to strip DVDS and edit recordings, and if you install a TV dongle, you can record off air onto it as well.
Add second drive and some scripts and you can backup automatically every night, and of course it becomes a handy place for the family to share data on as well.
Build your own NAS is a very good DIY project using a scrap XP style PC.
You don't need speed fast video or a lot of RAM 1GB is plenty. Just a reliable MB with ethernet, and as much disk as you can afford.
And a Linux installation disk. TBH for a server debian is good enough, But I went all mint.
Happy to help anyone through the issues.
And there are half a dozen other people here just as good at linux.
Would make a good wiki article maybe.
its shoes.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Apart from material I've downloaded, all my audio and video collection is on old-fashioned CDs and DVDs (and audio cassettes, VHS tapes and reel-to-reel tapes). I've considered copying it all onto hard disks but it's a somewhat daunting thought and in truth I like having the individual items on my shelves. I ought to do it for the older and more fragile stuff though.
Away from TV, I'd like to set up a system which would essentially have the same effect as putting a DAB radio into every room (which of course I could do, but I'm interested in alternatives): from some centralised source I'd like to be able to select a channel and control the volume in each room. The source would only ever have to provide one channel at a time, though I'd like to be able to play it in more than one room simultaneously if I wanted.
What would be the simplest way to achieve that?
Thanks.
Bert
I didn't explain that very well.
I'd like to be able to walk into any room and select what I hear and the volume I hear it at from a control (wall mounted, maybe?) in that room.
There would ideally be a single centralised source which fed a signal to every room.
Bert
On 02/09/16 15:13, Bert Coules wrote:

TBH, this is where Id be thinking of running '100V line' kit round the house....
On Friday, 2 September 2016 15:30:53 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

That is what I did (I had some spare wiring from a former underfloor heating installation).
Doesn't provide channel changing though. I suppose it might be possible to extend the 'up' and 'down' buttons on the DAB radio round the house too.
Owain
Owain wrote:

That does seem to be a stumbling point. If I put a DAB tuner with its own amp in a central location, and then find a way to feed the output of the amp to four or five different rooms (if such a way exists) then I would need control over the tuner (up/down through preset channels) and the amp (volume only) from each room. I don't know if that can be done.
Bert

How many radio channels do you regularly listen to? I came up with 4 here. And FreeView tuners are cheap as chips. I still have tuners on the main system I can select to anything I want.
--
*One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

Dave Plowman wrote:

That's a very good point. Certainly no more than three or four regularly.

Are you suggesting one Freeview tuner for each radio station? It would be necessary to split (and perhaps amplify) the incoming aerial signal, but I imagine that could be done.
I could feed each tuner to a different input on a central amp, then the individual room controls would only need to work on the amp in order to change both channel (ie input) and volume.
It's slightly messy and rather depends on the control system, but it would surely work. Thanks.
Bert

Think that's the same with most. Maybe even less.

Yes.

Beauty of FreeView tuners is they all have an aerial in and out. Unlike most FM or DAB receivers. And most will already have a decent TV aerial - and usually fed to more than one room.

I've distributed all 5 circuits round the house using cheap telephone cable. Then pick up the wanted one - via a switch - to a local amp and speakers. Lets you adjust volume and say tone controls for those speakers easily. Unlike a 100v line system.
It's not going to cost pennies, but once done and done right lasts pretty well for ever. Same as installing adequate sockets at re-wire time rather than plodding along with extension leads.
--
*Bigamy is having one wife too many - monogamy is the same

Dave Plowman wrote:

Ah, so they could be daisy-chained and only the first one in the chain would need to be connected to an aerial? That would be good.

I was hoping to avoid the need for local amps, but (as I've just said in a different post) the drawback with just one central amp is that each room would have the selected sound playing at the same time. That's not really ideal.
Bert

Yes - most of these seem to have some gain, so daisy chain fine.

It does all sound a fiddle, but once done works brilliantly. I first went for it due to poor FM reception in this part of London. Portable radios faded and farted. The basis of it is getting on for 40 years old. Only major change is FreeView rather than FM tuners.
--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch *

I've now found this kit by the US company Monoprice:
http://tinyurl.com/j5dy6he
or in full:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
KmFXPnGRw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
KmFXPnGRw
That's a YouTube link. Ideally for my purposes this is an audio amp as well as a six-zone speaker distributor, and it comes with very neat wall-mounted remotes which allow switching of input source, output zone and volume - everything I'm after.
It's a pity that it's only available from the US since that pushes the price up, but the kit gets some very enthusiastic user reviews and the company, which was new to me, seems to be a respected one.
So problem solved, I think. Many thanks to everyone for the thoughts and suggestions.
Bert
Dave,
I've just seen a possible drawback to the multiple-tuners approach.
Given this setup: tuners --> amp -> speaker distribution hub --> separate rooms
then using individual remotes to switch between tuners (and therefore radio channels) would work, but I wouldn't have individual-room control over the volume: the output would be audible in every location simultaneously. That's not really ideal.
Bert

I have an amp in each place needed. 'Separates' aren't much in fashion these days and can be picked up cheaply - even free.
--
*The statement above is false