Tripping out electrics!

No, but it will hopfully show what appliance is causing it, won't it? ...and as it has been tripping out at 4AM, I very mich doubt the Kitchen circuit was heavily loaded at this time!

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

An appliance fault could cause the RCD to trip, however the OP has a history of the MCB tripping. This is more likely to be a damaged cable IMHO than an overload.

The OP need to get that circuit checked out (particulary looking for a for a L-N fault) before blaming any appliances for causing the RCD to trip.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Cheers - but prior to moving in we saw the electrical documentation that said all was good, and even contacted the electrician after the first few trips and he confirmed everything was good. Thinking that the kettle may have caused the original problem (it was 5 years old) we replaced that and the MCB tripped again only a matter of days afterwards. Around 5 weeks ago it tripped when I was using the iron - interestingly in the same socket as the kettle uses. But this has only happened once and I've pulled the socket from the wall - all connections are solid and there's no evidence of any wire damage.

The house was rewired 2 1/2 years ago and the previous occupants report having a similar problem over one summer - but that it only happened a couple of times and then never again. I did wonder if a faulty appliance may be causing the problem but ruled this out when it happened twice over a period of about 3 days after we moved in. The only things plugged it at that time were what came with the house (ie. fridge, freezer, boiler, oven - and kettle which has since been replaced).

Reply to
b17

How did the electrician confirm that everything was good? An installation certificate only shows that the electrics are good at the time of the test. It will not show a fault caused by someone nailing through a cable 6 months later.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth