Tricky lintel replacement advice needed.

To describe the bits of wood holding up the wall above several openings as lintels is a bit of an exaggeration. Some of them are only

2cm thick, and all of them are seriously bowed. Removing them is going to involve a fair bit of collapse of the wall above, the construction being mud and stone. The walls in question are all at least 2' thick. One opening is a window, one an external door, and one an internal door.

I'm not quite sure what to replace the lintels with. More bits of wood, or several concrete lintels. This is one job I'm not looking forward to!

tom.harrigan

It might be an idea to put a needle or two through first onto some acrows.

Reply to
1501

The message from snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com contains these words:

Presumably a reinforced concrete lintel cast in situ. Not rocket science, but not a job to do yourself if you haven't got the help of someone who's done a few of them before.

Reply to
Appin

In a similar spot I've used needles in the unsupported area and into the wall either side and used a heavy wooden wall plates to take the load rather than acrows, it meant easier access to put in the new lintels which were one brick high pre-stressed concrete jobs.

Reply to
fred

generally best to use original materials to retain the character, and oak will last fine in such apps. Maybe a bit bigger than 2cm this time though!

NT

Reply to
meow2222