Trench for heating oil supply pipe.

I need to bury a central heating oil supply line under my lawn how deep do I need to go will it need any protection ?

Reply to
Ricardo

I got the answer to your question in about a minute with google. Have you tried it? It might save you posting questions that you should be able to answer for yourself.

Hint. Try OFTEC

Reply to
The Wanderer

To me that seems an entirely reasonable question to post to uk.diy . Perhaps the poster has never heard of OFTEC.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Laws

Then we must agree to differ, for two reasons. Whilst the advice and information exchanged here is invaluable, it can't unequivocally be claimed as authorative, especially where regulations exist. There may be conflicting answers, and then the OP is left to judge for himself as to which information he chooses. And if it should go wrong 'Ah, but I asked on uk.d-i-y, and they all said.....' won't get him very far.

It's also a very basic question. There is a veritable *wealth* of information out there if people can be bothered to look. Suggesting that such questions be asked here is only encouraging laziness. Personally I have much more sympathy for someone who has looked and is asking for clarification on what he has found. As it is, the OFTEC website is perfectly clear about installation.

Oh, and FWIW, OFTEC wasn't my choice for a search word, I entered 'oil', 'pipe' and 'installation' into google and OFTEC was close to the top of the list. I was being kind to the OP by suggesting where he might look for an answer.

Reply to
The Wanderer

What the f*ck is wrong with some people? If you don't want to help the OP then don't. Yes, you can always look up something on Google - but what is wrong with coming here and asking a perfectly sensible question. Is there a charter somewhere that says if the answer may be in the depths of Google then you are not allowed to ask the question here?

I've noticed that you (and one or two more) seem to think that uk.d-i-y is you own little preserve. Please sir, please sir, can I join the clique?

Reply to
gregory smith

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

Because it's plain bloody lazy.

Reply to
The Wanderer

My sympathies lie with The Wanderer, not so much on the basis that people shouldn't come to here to ask questions but many come with a question that is badly thought through, poorly expressed and often confusing requiring anyone who is prepared to answer to have to ask clarifying questions back -- and then the original poster disappears !!

I also find a mindset, and I'm prepared to admit to having suffered from it myself on occasions, that says - 'oh I have a problem, I'll just ask on UKDIY', without actually putting a little bit of effort into thinking the matter through and solving it yourself.

There isn't a solution to this, it's something we have to accept, but I can understand where the Wanderer is coming from - and equally I don't understand why he is getting a hard time.

Reply to
robgraham

I see absolutely nothing wrong with what was a very straightforward question. If anyone (eg The Wanderer) does not like the question then they are at total liberty to ignore it. They do not have an obligation to answer - the question was not aimed at them personally; this appears to be part of the problem.

There are "resident" responders who think they must answer everyone who posts - they don't have to.

Reply to
Richard.Watts

Please can you not provide clear straightforward answers to such questions. There is a wealth of information on Google - you are encouraging people to be lazy by you providing a clear unambiguous answer. It is also likely to lead to a debate around the points such as "is 450mm really deep enough", "I buried one 5 years ago, 50cm deep and there have been no problems"; "I would recommend using xyz company's product".

We do not want such things here - what do you think this is, a newsgroup or something?

Reply to
Richard.Watts

Thank you

Err, that wasn't the import of my comments, I have sympathy for people who've tried doing their own research and are looking for opinions, clarification, an expansion of the topic.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that.

The problem with uk.d-i-y is that there are numerous very knowlegable posters; there are others who have a tendency to post misleading or incorrect answers.

Oil installations are covered by an appropriate BS. The OP needs to be aware of this. It is also reasonable to assume that he was not aware of that fact - if he were he would have known about the installation requirements, or at the very least what to research to check them out.

What the whingers who have taken a stance against me don't appear to have realised is that I did tell the OP *exactly* where to look for the answer to his question. The website I alluded to contains a wealth of

*authorative* information that the OP might have found useful.

But there again, there are many who seem incapable of thinking before they start hitting the keyboard.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Looked at the OFTEC site, the pipe is installed as per regs thankyou.

Reply to
Ricardo

There, problem solved.

Reply to