trees

So now we need to plant 50,000ha of trees a year, I think that comes out at about 1% of the arable land each year, how long before they can start being felled, 50 years? What will that do to food prices?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Surely you don't want to fell them until they've reached their mature size and stopped growing, i.e. stopped absorbing significant amounts of CO2. Quite what you do with them then is anyone's guess. If you burn them, you just put all that CO2 back into the atmosphere, which rather defeats the object of the exercise.

Of course, if the Gov was really serious about reducing CO2 emissions, it would build lots more nuclear power stations. Instead, it just faffs about creating a regulatory system so complex that nuclear power costs a fortune, and promoting trees.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

You build furniture, buildings or similar out of them, build things that aren't very likely to rot, be burned or otherwise release the CO2 locked within them?

Quite.

In the olden days, we used up most of our oak forests building ships, but as many of those were warships, they didn't necessarily lock the carbon away for long. ;-(

;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Given the UK is a major food imported, not too much ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

You can be PM when Boris has f***ed off.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Since there will be presumably no coal flue ash to make 'breeze' blocks from, and gas fired brick kilns might be outlawed along with boilers, maybe we'll be using more wood for houses by then?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Lot less than that with the right trees.

Depends on where you have the trees. Not much if its in the wilds of scotland.

Not that it makes a lot of sense to go that route...

Reply to
Swer