Transported freezer horizontally & turned on too early. What next?

We moved a 2nd hand freezer horizontally. The manual said to leave it

4 hours, which we did, but I now see that the consensus is more like 12-24 hours.

Guess what? It doesn't work. The compressor gets warm but the transfer coils on the back don't and the freezer doesn't cool (let alone freeze). There's no working noise from the compressor, except for 2 seconds when it's first turned on.

Is there anything I can reasonably do (the freezer cost =A330)? Or is this a "learning experience" .

Thanks.

Reply to
Bromley86

Tipping it up sends the lubricant out of the compressor, so you'd best stand it up 24 hrs for a start.

No cooling effect suggests loss of refrigerant, but not necessarily so. I had one old machine that took ages for the coils to cool, but once they did it worked fine, and continued doing so for years. I thought it was a deadun, but after a few hours all was well.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If you're going to chuck it I would try switching it on for a few seconds, then off for a minute, many times until hopefuly the compressor keeps running for more than 2 seconds.

It sounds like the compressor can run but the oil isn't where it should be and is causing it to stall.

By running it intermittently hopefully the oil will eventually get pushed around back to the compressor without the compressor overheating or getting damaged.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Thanks guys. I'll give it a chance to behave before I cart it off to the dump :) .

Reply to
Bromley86