Touch Lights turning themselves on

We have bedside lights that are operated through 3 levels and back to off by touching them.

They each plugged into separate sockets on the upstairs power point ring.

Occasionally when we turn the bathroom light off one or both come on.

Bathroom light is on the upstairs lighting ring.

I assume that this results from a small fluctuation rather than the ghost following us back from the old inn over the road.

Any ideas? We will be getting the ancient fuse box replaced early next year and I have a suspicion this may run to more work than just the fusebox.

House is detached mid 1960s.

TIA for any assistance.

Reply to
Invisible Man

You'd need to modify the electronics to alter their sensitivity - though its poss you might be able to bodge it by adding something external to the touch plate, or filtering the mains supply to the lights. Maybe refund time.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Invisible Man saying something like:

You could make a trailing lead connection box incorporating an inline filter and plug both into it as a stopgap measure. I use ones like these on all my inputs to sensitive kit - dead cheap and effective.

Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Grimly Curmudgeon saying something like:

clothing, you could try this cheeky little number already built.

Grimly Curmudgeon

for the replies so far.

I am just absolutely fascinated. It will do it for a night or two then not for a few weeks. It does not seem to happen with other lights on the same circuit as the bathroom light or with heavier current appliances on the same power circuit as the bedside lights.

Circuits will probably need testing when the new CU is installed so we might find out then.

Reply to
Invisible Man

> Thanks for the replies so far.

Do you have anything else switched on that may have an earth fault. Or not be earthed at all. Are they low voltage lights in the bathroom? The initial back current on electronic transformers might be causing this on the table lamps.

Reply to
BigWallop

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Reply to
geoff

> Thanks for the replies so far.

Not so far as I know. Bathroom light is 230v single bulb. We will find out whether we have a problem when the CU is replaced in the spring. The problem occurs so rarely that it would not be practicable to unplug things one at a time.

Reply to
Invisible Man