TOT - Web pages design question

we all detest javascript, but its the only game in town.

The moment you type 'onmouseover' its jabbaschit..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Jesus, do I have to explain *everything*?

You have a problem. You decide to solve it with PHP. Now you have two problems.

(IOW, the original problem, plus dealing with the evil bletcherous bag of s**te that is PHP.)

Reply to
Huge

I am not He, but in this case you do need to explain.

That's not my experience. Given similar problems, I've found that the PHP solution works perfectly. Then I have *no* problems. It might be considered an evil bletcherous bag of s**te, but it does actually work perfectly on the sites where I use it. Unless you can point me to some fault that I wasn't previously aware of.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

IMO JQuery does a pretty good job of civilising it a bit.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Until wherever the Jquery scripts are being loaded from crashes, or gets hacked.

I wont trust any third party site - my websites usually are 100% standalone, and are a lot faster for it.

The less javascript the better.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's an evil bletcherous bag of s**te, but it does actually work. And very efficiently, too.

And best of all once it does work, it works for all browsers!

Unlike client side scripts...OK the html may not work, but at least it spits out the same HTML:.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I agree that standalone is good so I download the minimised JQuery source (< 100 KB) and upload it to each site where it's used.

Agreed but if you want an active page, it's the least bad option. And jQuery allows you to do exactly what you want with much less JavaScript code.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Amazing. It seems I've been doing it right all along.

Another Dave (the OP)

Reply to
Another Dave

And should be run out of town. All I see java doing is slowing sites down or breaking them such that basic native browser things like links and showing an image don't work...

It's certainly not impossible to have a site work just as well (if not better) without javascript. The BBC News site is a good example, far easier to navigate and quicker to load if you disable javascript.

Depends what you want the mouse over to do. CSS will do a button colour change no problem. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

  1. Use microsoft word ...
Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Don't confuse javascript with java.

Reply to
Tim Streater

OTOH GoogleMaps is pure AJAX and AJAX needs JavaScript...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Powerpoint.

In Comic Sans and Colonna.

Upload everything as graphics sized for a 24" monitor.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

And indeed as does any page that, as you type, offers completions (such as the search widget in Wikipedia).

Reply to
Tim Streater

Thats more source than a whole small web site...

I think writing your own is the least bad. At least you can support it...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its still fundamentally jabbashit.

The whole DOM model and the concept of event driven code... onmouseover-"this.style.color='red'" is jabbashit..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Use Quark and make all pages PDFS. At leasts they will look the way you designed em.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Anything that's not an MS proprietary extension is fairly safe. I agree one has to be careful and look at books, the HTML standards, and various websites for safety.

IE6? WTF is that?

parseInt ('6') is what you want. I get that from time to time but it doesn't take me three days to see wot I've done.

Reply to
Tim Streater

change

dropdown

Sorry, brain moving faster than fingers...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Does anyone still use Quark?

I thought InDesign had rather wiped it out.

Reply to
polygonum