Tops of gateposts

One of our brick built gateposts is missing its top, does anyone know what these are called, I thought they were coping stones. Am I likely to be able to get a matching one (the one thats still there looks like a terracotta type material) or will I have to buy 2 new ones? The house is a 30's semi if this makes much difference.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
sirbensonofhedges

Bit hard to say without seeing it or knowing what it looks like!

Is it an original? ie, as old as the house? If so your best bet is to go to a demolition or architectural salvage yard and have a browse round; those places are like Aladdins' caves. A local one is almost always your best bet for this sort of thing, as other properties are likely to have been built in the vicinity using the same materials, and may have ended up in the yard.

David

Reply to
Lobster