Tool boxes

I'm after recommendations for reasonable quality tool boxes at the cheap end of the market, primarily for my 1/4" router and assorted gubbins. It's mostly just for ease of storage in the workshop, with occasional jaunts out so I don't need Rolls Royce quality (like the Stanley ones, etc), but all the cheapy ones I've looked at in the Range etc have crappy catches and lid hinges that part company all too easily.

All names named and fingers pointed much appreciated.

Reply to
Scott M

I have a number of this general type

which are convenient because there is a standard size, so they stack well. I tend to get them from Maplin when they are on offer, about £15. Some of them come with "cuttable foam" inners which are often more convenient. I like the ones with "cast" corner pieces because they are more rounded than this one.

May not be deep enough for a 1/4 inch router though.

Reply to
newshound

and rest of peli knockoff range are actually OK

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

used to be practical to pick up tatty old toolboxes for next to nothing. I wouldnt know where to look now though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Solent Plastics sometimes have a similar box in their refurb/reduced section. Here's a solid new one:

A.Lee

B&Q had some orange ones with metal catches in last time I was there. Can't see them on the web site though. They were £8 IIRC.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I had some from Tesco direct a few years ago that have been brilliant in that they were not expensive, rubber feet, stack wonderfully (I've had them 4 high and loaded) and have lasted. Simple, rectangular, lift out tray and 2 side storage in the lid.

Sadly I cannot find them anymore. But for me they define a good box - particularly the stable stacking bit.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks all for the various comments. I must be mean as the favourite so far is Dave & Tim's suggestions :-) Although if they're not available I may have to double the budget. The SolentPlastics ones hide their postage costs so I'm not holding my breath there. I bet they want £8 postage.

The stupid this is, I've got several cheapie ones made when the economy was booming so the quality is quite good. Polyprop rather than polythene. But, now times are bad, the cheap ones are crap. I may have to go frequenting the car boots which did turn me up a nice one once.

OTOH, if I can't find one, I can put the money towards a 1/2" router in its own carry case.... ;-)

Reply to
Scott M

Car boot sales, house clearance market stalls. Sometimes also in places like Cash Converters, but they aren't usually that cheap.

I do like the traditional old metal ones - the metal wastes much less space than the more bulky plastic ones you tend to see today.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Yes, I agree. My usual toolbox is one of the old blue metal cantilever types, which is perfect, except that if I happen to catch something while wandering around the house, those sharp corners cause damage.

However, I cannot find a suitable modern plastic one that suits my needs. I like the cantilever trays with all the smaller stuff segregated, but don't want tiny compartments for screws and things.

Reply to
News

Your best bet. There are some really rotten designs around nowadays. I particularly hate the type with the tiny compartments for screws and such like that form part of the lid. Open the main cover with the flap catches not fully fastened and all your carefully sorted sizes end up all over the floor in one big mess. That's happened more than once. There are other daft modern designs the bring about the same result, too. You'd have thought after x hundred years of tool box production, this sort of nonsense would be a thing of the past. Those old steel cantilever boxes are still the best IMHO.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I find them great for "car stuff" but not so good for domestic DIY: the big space at the bottom won't even hold a cordless drill, let alone a router, biscuit tool, or angle grinder. They are strong, but heavy and have relatively sharp corners. They don't normally stack well.

I do find this type of metal one best for screws, nuts and bolts, pop rivets, etc.

or

not least because of the "safety catch" which normally kicks in if you pick it up with the toggles open!

Reply to
newshound

Steel boxes are a big no-no for me as either a) I'm just too damn clumsy or b) there's too many delicate things around to put gouges into!! I've got a flight case I use for the "assorted" tools that I carry and that's enough of a worry for me and that has feet and rounded corners :-)

I've got a Stanley fixed compartment one for nuts/bolts/rivets/wall fixings that has a central safety catch and that works well. However, my DoItAll (remember them!!) loose compartment screw and washer case doesn't and I don't know how I haven't tipped that all over the floor yet (crosses fingers against invoking the gods of untidiness and unnecessary work.)

Reply to
Scott M

. I wouldnt know where to look now though.

The main thing is they're more robust. If a good wack dents them, just unde nt them. But they have their own problems: lever bars falling out, or getti ng too stiff to open properly. Rust. And as someone mentioned the sharp har d corners. But at least they'll outlast several plastic ones.

TBH I dont see the point in toolboxes. I've got way more tools than could e ver fit in one, so I just chuck what I want in a bag or several.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

I have an old chest of drawers stuffed with tools, plus several plastic tool boxes in the shed with segregated tools - one with cold chisels etc, another with car stuff such as spanners etc.

Indoors is my old metal cantilever box with all the stuff I usually need for everyday jobs. Various screwdrivers, modest hammer, pliers, side cutters, knives, pens, pencils, hand drill, drill bits, allen keys, hacksaw, small hand saw, Swiss files, insulating tape and more. Too idle to run to the shed every time I just need a screwdriver, perhaps.

Reply to
News