Timer valve to prevent flooding

Does anyone know where I might look to get hold of some timer/volume valves that will shut off a water supply after so much time has passed or water has passed through them. I'd like these to work in conjunction with existing mechanical monobloc pull & twist mixer taps. Perhaps this is too an ambitious setup. I think a difficulty in this system would be in having the valve trigger again when the tap is operated. Does anyone know of any such products?

Reply to
simptomatic

I've never used this company but ran across them when looking for something else.

Peter Andrews

I use the preset volume valve in the stables where hoses used to get left on with ensuing flood - no more now! Not sure about using with your present taps though

cynic

that it reset itself when the flow stopped. It was intended to be fitted just after your stop-c*ck, so you could use water normally (including filling a bath), but leaving the bath running or having a continuous leak would shut the water off. Unfortunately I can't remember anything else about it, but at least it suggests that such a device might well be available.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

You're thinking of "Water Fuses" (trademark), see

I'm not sure that will do quite what the OP wants.

Thames Water were pushing water fuses a few years back, but nanny said it wasn't safe for you to fit them yourself. It wasn't clear whether they'd sell you one regardless.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

but I'm not sure that will do quite what the OP wants.

No, the one I was thinking of was a mechanical device, more like the preset volume valve mentioned above, but self resetting on zero flow.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

see

> but I'm not sure that will do quite what the OP wants.

that's something on my list too - have you found one yet?

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

=A3195 - Australia derived.

Amusingly they say "should" be fitted by a CORGI-approved plumber, I say amusing because "should" is not the same as "must" at least from a legal perspective. Australia loves its approved tradesman system, well except those who moved to new zealand away from nanny because they aren't allowed to wipe their backside without a trail of brown overalls.

There are many other similar products on the market, an issue I have with all is the risk of the valve & pre-valve pipework freezing. Many people have lead incomers installed tight against solid double brick walls, hard to insulate, easy to freeze.

Responsibility for the water main should really extend to the stoptap indoors, for obvious reasons utilities would like to avoid this - along with avoiding any competition from ability to switch supplier as with Gas & Electricity.

Reply to
js.b1