Timber for replacing garden table top

For several years we've had a garden table that consists of a metal frame (which seems to be of high quality --- no signs of corrosion) with a three-strip wooden top: solid down the sides, and with square holes and tile inserts in the middle. We put a garden table cover (box-shaped tarp, basically) over it for the first winter, and it trapped humidity and made the top mouldy, so I sanded & varnished it, & left it open the next winter. The side strips are still intact, but the middle one (because of the inserts) has rotted through in places.

I thought the best material to use for a replacement top would be decking boards, because the table sits on the deck which is about the same age & in great condition, but the planning committee doesn't want the table to look like some fool and/or cheapskate has covered it with decking.

Suggestions?

Reply to
Adam Funk

New planning committee?

Decking board "wrong way up" which you can claim are special table top material for cruise liners and Carribean beach tables.

Reply to
newshound

I think we can "take that as read" on uk.d-i-y for many questions. ;-)

Well, every decking board that I've seen is grooved differently on both sides, but maybe I should investigate more timber suppliers to see if there's something acceptable to both of us on weather-resistant as well as aesthetic grounds.

Reply to
Adam Funk

In our local B&Q the other day, hardwood decking boards were half price and they might make a table top more acceptable to the committee (upside down as suggested).

Reply to
GMM

The other option is unchopped selected oak firewood, if you've a saw big enough

NT

Reply to
meow2222