Those reasonably cheap CNC machines

So, looking (again) at CNC engraving/cutting machines like the CNC 3018 (eBay, Amazon, etc). Does the panel think that using several/many passes this sort of machine could cut 15mm oak boards?

Reply to
Grumps

How deep must the cuts go? Id use a jig router for full cuts on that

CNC cut jigs might be an option tho :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ta. It needs to cut all the way through. I haven't got a shed, a workshop, or any room for decent equipment (saw or router table etc). And my garage is full :(

Reply to
Grumps

I don't see why it should not, although it will depend on how fine the detail needs to be. For example, if you wanted (say) a wiggly 1 mm wide slit you are going to be struggling to get 15 mm depth with multiple passes using an end mill. AFAIK engravers usually do a single path at one depth, do these have computerised control of the third axis and hence the ability to do multiple planar passes (a bit like a 3D printer in reverse).

And it might be quite slow.

Some friends of mine have one of the computerised laser cutting tools that will do something like 4 mm ply quite neatly for craft fair type stuff. Obviously the edge finish will drop off if you try to go deeper but that might be OK for applications that you can hand finish to final dimensions.

Reply to
newshound

No experience of using one, but looks intriguing - gets through 20mm MDF in a roundabout way:

Dust clearing looks to be a pain, but otherwise quite a neat thing.

Reply to
RJH

Did you go for one? Have you got it? What is it like?

Reply to
polygonum_on_google