thin foam polystyrene sheeting behind wallpaper - why?

Our kitchen (when we moved in) didn't have space for a cooker and was tiled throughout with two types of obselete dark brown tiles. When we extended ten years later I hired a kango hammer and with great delight removed the last of the awful tiles, complet with teh plaster.

I don;'t remeber much getting out of the kitchen, but we had just had three weeks ob builders at it extending so the extra dust didn't show.

Re-fitting the skirting/architrave after dot and dabbing (no extra insulation then -- 20 years ago) was a minor inconvenience[1]. [1] Half the skirtings are now removed following a flood and floor removal allowing the intallation of insulation under the timber floor. The half done so far seems to have made a noticable difference in the comfort level.

Reply to
<me9

Post the U values, then we dont need to guess.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Indeed, it does not sound that plausible...

The k value for EPS is about 0.035 W/mK, so 5mm of it would yield a U value of 7

9" solid brick wall has a U value of about 2.2. So together you get a reduction to 1/(1/2.2 + 1/7) = 1.7
Reply to
John Rumm

NP's figures IIRC

Reply to