thermostatic rad valves

hello,

I've just had a new boiler installed (Worcester Greenstart 42CDi) and changed all my rads (x 13). On each of the rads is a Pegler Ltd Bulldog TVR. When the setting on the TVRs are below '3' no heat gets to the rads. When the setting is '3' and above the heat gets through.

Is this because of crap TVRs or could it be something else?

Thanks

Reply to
tvmo

Not all TVRs were crap. The Griffith was OK.

Reply to
Steve Firth

TRVs act pretty well as an off on thermostat - and 3 on most is a temperature below interior ambient at this time of the year - and below what most consider comfortable. But situate a thermometer in each room one at a time and see what the temperature actually is for different settings of the TRV.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its the way thermostats work, if the temperature is below what they are set to they turn on, if above they turn off. With a setting of 3 that about 18-20C so they are off. If you want the room warm turn them up a bit.

Do not do as many do and assume thermostats control the speed of heating, they don't. Setting them high will not make things heat up faster just keep them on longer. There are exceptions but not many in domestic use.

AFAIK Pegler is a good brand BTW not cheap tat.

Reply to
dennis

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 06:32:19 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be tvmo wrote this:-

It sounds like they are working as they should do. I would leave them alone.

When it gets colder you may want to fine tune the settings for each room. For example bedrooms may be left on a somewhat lower setting, bathrooms on a higher one. Generally a movement of less than one number is enough for fine adjustment, then leave them alone.

The greatest problem with thermostatic valves is people fiddling with them, for reasons which escape me. Let them regulate the temperature, don't try and do their job yourself.

Reply to
David Hansen

degrees and it was already 20 degrees than it should be off. This is what a thermostat does.

If (say) 5 equates to 21 degrees then It will open and the radiator will heat up until the ROOM reaches 21 degrees then it will start to close down. The head is designed to sense the air temperature.

Reply to
John

it means the room is already warm enough not to need heat at setting '3'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher