The puncture

I have found on my bike that slime gums up the valve and eventually you can't get air into the tire regardless of using a very high pressure inflator ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I'd look for payment for your losses/costs as well as a refund on the slime. You've totally let them get away with it otherwise.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

... but you could take the valve out and clean / replace it presumably?

That could be another disadvantage with using something that stays very liquid like most generic 'slimes' then, as the likes of Punctureseal, once spread round the inside of the tyre, stays there.

When I removed the back wheel / tyre off a motorbike that had been standing for some years, there was no noticeable 'pooling' of the (then) Ultraseal at the bottom and certainly none near the valve or rim.

Like I said, anyone who considers the likes of the slimes with stuff like Punctureseal is really trying to compare apples and bananas. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Punctureseal is also ok to use with runflat tyres (saving them being destroyed once run-flat) and tyre pressure sensors.

Reply to
T i m

Quite, I wasn't commenting (particularly ) on your preparedness under the circumstances, just a though re the future, irrespective. ;-)

The point is, unless you go for solid tyres, there is a chance that a tyre could get catastrophically damaged (riding over the end of a broken glass bottle, hidden the some long grass or at night that rips open the side of the tyre and allows the inner-tube out). ;-(

Even though we generally run puncture proof tyres on our mountain bikes and with Slime / Punctureseal (depending on when we did what), I always carry one spare tyre (folding) and tube, along with a decent puncture repair kit etc, just in case. We used the spare tyre and tube once when the rear tyre on the tandem blew out (turned out a tyre we were testing was crap in this case). It turned what would have been a nightmare into a short delay getting to the campsite (not easy pushing / carrying a fully loaded tandem and BOB Yak trailer). ;-(

Your story of trusting people to do what they say (and give you what you have paid for) is why I (and many others potentially) do stuff ourselves? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

He is ... we all know that with a decent Lithium battery and a solar panel ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m