The Jet Engine

BTW, Whittle initially used petrol as fuel, before changing to paraffin. That's better known outside the UK as kerosene.
Someone on here thinks he knows about Jet Engines. Besides quoting Wikipedia at the rest of us are there any on here that actually do know a thing or two about them for I would love to learn more.
I recently read Stanley Hooker's autobiography on them (twice) but he left great gaps in the narrative. Some things are self explanatory, to the expert, that leave most of us lost and disenchanted.
On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 9:44:33 AM UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:

Check out this Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/AgentJayZ

It's by a Canadian who overhauls Jet engines for a living.
Here is his website:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~tgard/
More stuff there than you can shake a stick at.
Philip
On 7/11/2016 9:44 AM, Weatherlawyer wrote:

Catch this while it is still available
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01m81f5 (two episodes IIRC).
Some of the buildings where Whittle worked are, AFAIK, still part of the AMEC site at Whetstone (formerly occupied by GEC). Typical 40's blockwork single story buildings with Critall windows. Very like wartime and post war RAF and other MOD sites.
On 11/07/2016 09:44, Weatherlawyer wrote:

I don't know a great deal, but I do know that jets don't care what fuel they're run on, as long as it is delivered correctly. I have taken part in testing generator sets with the industrial version of the Rolls-Royce RB-211 (has only two compressor/turbine spools instead of the three of the aviation version). They were set up with two sets of fueling nozzles, so as to start up on diesel (120 litres a minutes at full load of 24MW IIRC - it was 20 years ago) and once running, the power could be used to run the North-sea rig they were on and as production started, they'd switch over to running on natural gas from the well.
On 11/07/2016 2:44 PM, Steve Walker wrote:

I was astounded when I was told that Bloodhound(?) used a Formula 1 engine to deliver the fuel.

I'd be surprised. They are not designed for a long service life. Rebuilt after every race.
--
*It's lonely at the top, but you eat better.

It was initially to use a Cosworth CA2010 engine now cosworth have closed their partnership agreement. It will use a 550bhp Jaguar Supercharged V8
-

That would make more sense. A proved reliable production engine - rather than cutting edge stuff.
--
*I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it*

On 11/07/2016 3:32 PM, Mark wrote:

LOL. Wow, I just can't imagine the rates.

Whether or not the story was true, I don't think a point defence ground-air missile needs much service life - and it might be hard to find the bits to rebuild after a "race" ;-)
On 11/07/2016 16:24, snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

Sssh, don't tell Andy Green what he's sitting in/on is really a missile!

Presumably he was referring to the land speed 1000mph car which does indeed use such an engine as a fuel pump.
--
HAL 9000: Dave. Put down those Windows disks. Dave. DAVE!

On 11/07/2016 17:00, Tim Streater wrote:

Ooops! I grew-up in Lincolnshire where there were fields of Bloodhounds pointing skywards and didn't know about the car. My apologies to Mr Plowman for attempted humour.
On Monday, 11 July 2016 16:24:47 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

Unless the Iranians want to let the Chinese take a look at one.
On 11/07/2016 4:08 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

If I remember right, Dave, it was a TV screening. I must go to Bloodhound Web and have a look.

Ah. TV. Where every Rolls Royce wartime V12 is a Spitfire engine. ;-)
The thing with F1 is the engines are designed for the formula as it exists at that time. Doesn't mean they are the best or easiest way to get the required power output for any given job.
--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

I don't think the bloodhound lasted very long after being used.
On 11/07/2016 15:08, RayL12 wrote:

At first I thought you meant :-
http://www.airforce.gov.au/raafmuseum/exhibitions/external/images/Bloodhound-on-launcher---ol.jpg
On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 10:51:25 +0100, soup wrote:

Bloodhound-on-launcher---ol.jpg
I built an Airfix model of that once.
Keep meaning to go to Cosford...
http://www.bloodhoundmkii.org.uk/bh_relics.htm

I had a Corgi toy version, http://www.talkmodeltoys.com/discus/messages/27766/48629.html?1228738787
Remember being annoyed it did not actually fire off the launcher or do anything other than sit there, at least the various Britains guns actually fired something and could be used to annoy the cat. I had two versions of the heavy howitzer, the inherited one fired a spring launched lead shell, the later model had a light weight plastic one which wasn't as much fun.
G.Harman