testing bathroom supplementary equi-potential bonding

Hi

I've done a search of the archives but can't find an answer to the following question:

I totally refitted my bathroom a few months ago, but was unaware at the time of the requirement for supplementary bonding. Now I'm aware of it I'd like to make sure that I have it and it functions correctly.

I suspect that the original bathroom had the bonding as the house was built in the 70s, and as I understand the wiring regs bonding was a requirement at this time. I'd therefore like to make use of this bonding if present (with additions for a new shower pump) to avoid having to do any destructive work. However, if it is present it is largely under the floor boards, under my laid flooring, and thus I can't easily check for it by eye. I'd therefore appreciate any input on how I might go about testing for it using a basic multimeter on the exposed pipework, lights etc.

Thanks in advance

-Neil

Reply to
rookie

This will be difficult, as it is likely that your main equipotential bonding already provides a low impedence path between copper pipework and electrical fittings. I doubt your 1970s house has plastic pipework.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

All the bonding connections should be accessible, or reasonably so (in principle...). It should be possible disconnect each in turn and make a resistance measurement to another bonded point. The resistance of 4 mm^2 copper at 20 deg. C will be 4.6 milliohm per metre or less. Excessively high readings should arouse suspicion as they suggest that the path may be a long one, i.e. not bonding "in close vicinity."

You need a good low resistance ohmmeter for this sort of thing (resolution to 0.01 ohm) and a reliable long test lead. An ordinary multimeter's no good, except for detecting open circuits.

Reply to
Andy Wade