Temporary removial of solar panels

I have some solar panels on my roof which need to be moved to aid a flat roof repair. I was thinking of covering those that need moving, unbolting them, and laying them on the flat roof, or do they plug in to the output cable, does this seem reasonable. Would they all need covering as its 5 connected together and only two are in the way? Or Steve Jones

Reply to
Steve Jones

I think there's typically a captive cable with an MC4 connector, and those are typically connected together to make a string. So if you unplug the MC4s that should be enough to isolate the panels. I would either do that at night or with the panels in the string covered to avoid any shock risk. If you have 5 panels in the string then all will be electrically connected so you'd need to cover them all.

Once disconnected there should be no current in the string and, as long as you don't touch the wiring (eg insulating tape up the ends) I think you should be ok.

The output cables are likely to terminate in MC4 connectors so you can disconnect them from the cabling to the inverter.

If the open circuit voltage is about 40v, you could have about 200v in the string. If you have isolated the inverter and have suitable PPE for 200V DC (class 0 gloves etc) than it may be ok to disconnect them without covering. But it's safer to cover them, and I would do that if you don't have the proper PPE.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Mine have plug in micro-inverters on back of each panel so can be unplugged individually. Switch the DC & AC isolators off to avoid any electrical risk during the work

Reply to
Sargan

Thanks for your help, will tell you how it goes.

Reply to
Steve Jones