Tarmac on a driveway

On 2007-07-19 19:25:28 +0100, "ARWadsworth"

Well yes, I did wonder that. It's on the way to Bristol I suppose.

He certainly pointed as to where it was going to rain.
Adam
Thanks Andy from what you say it looks as if I can coat it in tarmac. Its an old bungalow and several around have tarmac drives which look ok so I might run with that. I'm not too worried about time scales, I'm a pensioner now and so long as it sees me of the planet then that will do.
Any idea how much per sq metre were talking about ?
Sam Farrell
said:

OK. It's helpful to know what the more complete story is.
Given what you have and the time available, I would ask several contractors to come and quote and then compare. Ask them for a spec. of what exactly they will use. That's a good way to separate the cowboys from those who know what they are doing and are prepared to sign up for a proper job.
It's certainly unwise to fall for the wiles of people who come along with a load of tarmac because of a motorway job, and so on.
The Paving Expert site is very helpful and woth spending time going through. There are price ranges You can post questions in the forum and should get a range of responses from various people including professional contractors. I didn't find anything in what I was looking for that was factually incorrect, but there were places where there was more information available elsewhere. There are a range of prices, but it is quite influenced by location, season, workload etc.
damn ... I saw 14 articles in this thread and thought that it was going to be a useful discussion of a problem that I, too, have, namely a buggered up concrete drive which I sometimes think I might get tarmacced ...

We've just had our drive re-tarmac'd (tarmac slapped straight onto tarmac). [1]
If it was a concrete base I think I'd get a good layer of bitumastic painted onto the concrete first. This would ensure that the tarmac is stuck down to the concrete, rather than a layer that might lift.
[1] It was a repair by contractors from the local water company, after a burst main damaged the front 20% of our drive. It was a little splash and dash but I'm not complaining because they resurfaced the whole drive, rather than patch the damaged section.
--
Tony Williams.

So now you know that it would be a good idea to check carefully before spending your money.