SWA glands

Hi,

Only two years after my original posting I'm finally getting round to running a supply from the CU (20 amp type B mcb, rcd protected) to the shed. If any of you have long enough memories my current plan is much the same except I'm taking the cable run from the front of the house into the loft, where I'm going to change from 4mm T&E (8m) to 4mm SWA (I was going to use 2 core but could only get three so I'll use the third as an additional earth) using a metal clad socket to join the two.The run then goes down the back of the house and onto the shed (ca 20m swa). The intent is to import the earth from the house to the shed (dry no water pipes etc.) The circuit is longer than I originally said but the disconnect time/voltage drop is still OK.

It occurred to me that I could cut into the swa at the back of the house and install an IP rated outdoor socket (which is plastic). What I'm not sure about is how to utilise the earth tags that come with the gland. From what I can gather they are normaly installed on the outside of the patress/box and a hole drilled into the box, with bolt& crimp ring terminal. In the case of the socket I obtained there isn't actually any room to do this. Is there any reason why I can't bend the tags and put them on the inside of the sockets enclosure? In some respects this question is academic as the armour would be eathed via the 3rd core and the metal clad fcu in the shed, but I doubt good practice.

Also am I correct in assuming that the earth tags don't need to be used with metal clad sockets etc.

Thanks

Jim

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim Ingram

That's fine. Don't try and do a sharp bend as some of the tags easily snap. Personally, I do this by soldering an earth tail on to the tag, but unless you're already competent at soldering, your bolt & crimp ring will be better. BTW, there's even less room inside the box than there is outside.

Also note that you must use a waterproof SWA gland, which has an extra nut and seal onto the outer sheath. The basic SWA gland is not waterproof.

I have observed that they are still sometimes used even when the gland is going into steel trunking. Watch out for any laquered finish on some metal clad sockets, although it should connect on the inside even so.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Why not use Piranha earth locking nuts, as shown at the bottom of this page?

have teeth which make good contact with the enclosure, and grub screws to lock them to the body of the gland. Additional tapped holes allow the attachment of earth wires with small eyes crimped onto the end - which would be easier to accommodate inside the box than a conventional tag.

Reply to
Roger Mills

> They have teeth which make good contact with the enclosure, and grub screws

If only I'd known about them this time yesterday. I think I might try the soldering suggestion.

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim Ingram