Suspended floor timbers bridging dpc

Answers There is a general requirement that the product be fit for purpose. Tanalith treatment is not a requirement but would be considered normal good practice. It would depend on what was the essence of the contract as to whether or not this could be enforced in court - unlikely in the extreme but just possible if the contract was, say, "please build me a high quality extension in accordance with the best practice" . If, however, it was "Please build me an extension as cheaply as you can that will not fall down but be ok" then there would be no obligation to use tanalised. As a matter of simple competence, given the nominal price difference and the huge increase in quality, any builder that did not automatically use tanlasied is demonstrating his lack of competence. BCOs are generally almost as ignorant in matters of preservation as builders and should not be relied on. When they got rid of the proper old DSs in the mid 90s they put in young lads who were clueless and paid them peanuts. Wall plate on a dpc has been in building regs since about 1886!!!

Answer to your last question >Why would any builder spend extra time and money on

a good builder would do so as a matter of competence and protection of his reputation a bad one will do a cheapskate job

I refuse to work for clients that want a botch job done I can afford to do so because clients appreciate it done right and luckily I have plenty of them

chris

Reply to
chris

You obviously don't work in the Camberley area where it is a requirement to have all house timbers treated and has been since just after the last war or on properties where the client specifies treatment Where I work which is mainly the SE and home counties, I guess that over half the properties are with treated timber but my clients tend to be rich chris All properly constructed floors should be pre- treated for insect attack as this can affect any well constructed site

Reply to
chris