Supplying Power to a Garden Garage

Hi, I'm looking to find out how to install electricity in a garden garage. I plan to have a washing machine and a socket or 2 for Power Tools. I also want to power some low voltage garden lights and power a water feature.

I need to know what type of cable I should get to carry the appropriate power. I assume I should put a consumer unit in the garage but need to know what I'm looking for.

Also running the cable under ground may not be possible as I would have to dig up an area of patio and concrete.

Any help is much appreciated.

Reply to
Frank

SWG cable commonly called armoured. Have a look at TLC for an idea of the ratings available. They sell it cut to length - some suppliers will only sell a drum.

Dave Plowman

Normally, you would run SWA armoured cable. Thickness required depends on length and load. I'd install a B32A MCB in the house and run the cable from there. It only has to switch to armoured cable as it leaves the house. Inside you can use normal PVC T&E.

In the garage, install an insulated consumer unit and an earth block fed from an earth rod driven into the ground. Isolate the cable earth and do not connect it to anything. Connect up any required main equipotential bonding to the earth block. This is required for structural metalwork or metal services, such as water pipes.

Depending on budget and likely use, the consumer unit should consist of either an RCD only system with a 30mA RCD and MCBs, or (better) a Type S

100mA RCD and a mixture of MCBs and RCBOs as appropriate (socket circuits then must be off an RCBO).

If the garage is close to or attached to the house, you can skip the earth rod and use the SWA armour. This may only be practical if there is no main equipotential bonding to hook up, as this would then need to be wired back to the house earth block.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle