Supply earth.

Is your electricity supplier required to provide an earth too? I know at one time they would charge for this but wondered if it still was the case?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not required no - hence TT installs.

They may charge if say upgrading an existing install to PME...

Reply to
John Rumm

It's an elderly neighbour who is going to have to have a re-wire. Having seen the ancient installation there is no compliant earth. Just wondering what the cheapest options are?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What kind of supply is it?

What does the head end cutout look like?

can you match it to any of the pictures here:

John Rumm

I think it's your responsibility to provide the earth, so I guess if you want them to do it, they will charge you.

Reply to
DraytonF

Mine is TN-S - an earth clamp round the sheath of the incoming cable. Nothing like that there - the only earth I can see goes to the water pipe, which is lead. The majority of the wiring is pre WW2 - with only a ring main having been added sometime in the 50s/'60s (rubber cable now perished). With only one socket per room. ;-) It is basically a death trap.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is a reasonable chance you both have a similar incoming cable, and so theirs may support TN-S as well - even if it lacks the clamp etc.

Any VO ELCB?

I wonder how far that lead pipe goes before it ceases to be connected to metal?

Reply to
John Rumm

It is required for new and renewed service connections though. Chapter & verse is regulation 24 of the ESQC regulations 2002:

(4) "Unless he can reasonably conclude that it is inappropriate for reasons of safety, a distributor shall, when providing a new connection at low voltage, make available his supply neutral conductor [PME, aka TN-C-S] or, if appropriate, the protective conductor of his network [TN-S] for connection to the protective conductor of the consumer?s installation. [my notes]

(5) "In this regulation the expression ?new connection? means the first electric line, or the replacement of an existing electric line, to one or more consumer?s installations."

/s/may/will these days...

Reply to
Andy Wade

Don't be silly. ;-)

Probably out to the street main. Which hasn't been replaced in the 30 odd years I've been here so probably still metal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed, I did read that to make sure before answering Dave's question - but since it seemed fairly unlikely in this circumstance that the supply would be replaced when the house is rewired, the neighbour may be stuck with what is there... (although I suspect that what is there may already support TN-S)

;-)

Reply to
John Rumm