Sun power water pump

Aye, though I'd be tempted to have some form of flow through inlet chamber to maintain a few inches of water above the inlet pipe and it's strainer. The flow into the chamber having some courser straining as well.

It's not the speed of the flow that is important but the volume per unit time that is available.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Solar PV & battery is a recipe for unreliability. I'd be more tempted to have a windmill directly mechanically drive a small pump.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

What kind of livestock? I've seen cattle operating pumps themselves by pushing a large padded lever with their heads.

Reply to
Reentrant

Maybe if they had to tread on a slight step to reach the water they wouldn't need training. If each approach yields more water than each drink...

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes. They are cleverer than they look.

I think they only work from a header or pressurised supply.

Choice is beef cattle or sheep. Sheep better. There is about 3k of public rights of way on this small farm. Dog proof fencing helps but sheep will always be vulnerable to momentary thoughtlessness.

Cattle need winter housing apart from a few hardy breeds which means bedding, feed and more labour.

My objective is to reduce my input; perhaps by offering the land on a

*farm business tenancy* basis. >
Reply to
Tim Lamb

If you are considering a FBT why are you looking to put in a water pump? I doubt you'd get extra rent because of it and you are likely to get more hassle if it breaks down.

Let the occupier sort his own water.

Reply to
Mark Allread

He would just leave the gates open so the stock can reach the river at a stroke undoing years of carefully training the GP (no major insults intended) to keep strictly to the marked paths.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It's not a drive shaft, it's a bloody long connecting rod ('con rod'). A cheap and elegantly simple and efficient means of using wind power to drive a water pump.

If you're after extracting wind energy in the form of electrical energy, an automotive alternator is the least suitable generator for this type scheme on account of the 50 to 60 watts field excitation vampire load used at minimum rpm generator speed.

This vampire load isn't a problem when the prime mover runs at a guaranteed minimum rpm which can maintain, via pulley gearing, a minimum usable charging output at tick-over with a source of battery power to provide the initial excitation without recourse to reliance on residual magnetism and a burst of very high rpm to bootstrap the excitation current from 'nothing at all' in the absence of such a source of battery power.

For a modestly sized wind turbine, best practice has always been to use a permanent magnet rotor alternator with a switching regulator to provide efficient voltage stabilisation. Furthermore, the designs of such PM alternators are normally optimised to operate at the wind turbine shaft speed in order to avoid mechanical losses in a step up ratio gearbox or pulley system (or at least eliminate the need for a large step up ratio).

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Some like this will pump from a watercourse but not for the figures you mentioned,

Not cheap and I wonder how it lasts before needing attention. Others have mentioned Hydraulic Rams and there is a company which is based in Cornwall who makes a modern version out of strong plastics , they don't call it a Hydraulic ram but that is essentially what it is, I saw them the other day at the Gillingham and Shaftesbury show, but dammed if I can remember their name, Ahh found them

Southwest water were promoting them a couple of years ago and may even have an interest in them. They put out this PDF with some info though it is an advert.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

that is a downside, but in other respects it has upsides

This is a widespread belief, but wrong. I've bump started a car with no battery connected at way below 1000rpm, probably nearer 100rpm at a guess. Residual magnetism is what does it, and it bootstraps effectively at very low revs.

Yes, best commercial practice is often not what's wanted when you homebrew though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In message , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

I think this type require a minimum of 1m supply head which I don't have without going back to the old mill leat system.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

High pressure diaphragm pump like ebay 261731991506. Some kind of filter to keep crud out.

Float switch like ebay 181572279510

Decent battery and small PV panel with charger.

Sorted.

Reply to
Vortex11

Do you think he has space for a venturo pump? What could you do with 28 million litres a day? I think a small hydroelectric plant (~100MW) and sell the animals would be better if there was enough flow for one of those.

Reply to
dennis

I don't know if you are trying to be A* humorous ,B*sarcastic or are C*just too stupid to navigate an admittedly not particularly well designed web site and make a choice of what could be available from the options offered.

A picture is worth a thousand words so just for you here is a link to a video of the pump that possibly could have been utilised for the OP situation.

Unless the bloke in the video is a perfectly proportioned really small midget then the pump unit looks a more than capable of being fitted on the average farm.

A* Not obvious B* Looked at the wrong section of website? C* Applies if A and B don't.

Please select amount of indignation according to selection above.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Given that it has an intake 1.7m in dia I will leave it for you to decide.

They don't do one that is suitable for the OP, BTW.

Reply to
dennis

In message , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

Hold that thought:-)

If you follow the large bore pipe you will note that it is taking water from the stream at least 1m higher than the pump and that the surplus water is discharged back to the lower section of stream.

Without installing a weir I do not have such a situation. The EA take a close interest in bankside engineering:-(

Yes. If your stream flows down the side of a hill.

Google earth gives a 2m fall for about 1km of stream here.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Looks the job. I note the source address although Amazon have the same item for more money.

Couldn't find that. Trough and pump are likely to be 100m+ apart so pressure switch might be simpler.

60W 5l/min. Say 100l 20 mins at 5 amps. OK for a leisure battery.

It begins to sound doable:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I guess at these low flow rates resistance will be nominal if you use (say) 20mm MDPE pipe. I'd be inclined to pick up and set up a pump and validate the real flow rates in situ before sizing any charging arrangement.

Reply to
Vortex11