suitable material for replacement handle for a turner

I have a slotted turner (cookery) with a thin stainless steel blade, which I really like, but the handle is made of a plastic that bubbles and swells if you rest it on the side of the pan (or get it too close to the flame or similar).

I?d like to replace the handle, but that requires a material that:

  • is D-I-Y workable * has low thermal conductivity * resists exposure to high temperatures * is dishwasher proof

any suggestions?

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

Melamine cutting board, cut to shape, layered, layers epoxied together, then rasped, sanded & polished to shape.

"Micarta"

Google for ready made "silicone handles", and see if a cover fits as a protector.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Yup. You probably want a cold cast resin of some sort.

Oven cured.

Being a bit of a hand worker I'd use car body filler to make a lumpenhandel and then file it down to whatever shape is acceptable. Then a pigmented coat of polyester over the to and polish to a nice finish.

Unfortunately the brief research I did suggest that temps over 100C might be the end of polyester resins so epoxy rears its ugly head.

Possibly your easiest route to one of those with a suitable pignented filler in might well be Milliput.

As with all epoxies, mix exatlyly identical quantities really throughly and stove the final thing in an oven at around the 100°C-120°C mark for much faster setting and much harder result.

Milliput can be sanded and polished once set for a pro finish.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Wood is a lot easier. You can dishwash it, though it won't last forever.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Mahogany?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Tufnol, PTFE

Reply to
newshound

Bamboo stands up well to the dishwasher.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Neither of these will withstand particularly high temperatures and when overheated produce some nasty fumes. 250degC is about the start of the degradation temperature pf PTFE, at 350degC it starts to decompose and releases fumes which cause polymer fume fever in humans and are lethal to birds.

Tufnol has a range of temperature maximums depending on the grade but most have an upper limit of 120 to 140 deg C.

Leaving the turner on the side of the pan on a gas cooker as the OP does will expose the handle to temperatures higher than 250deg.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I'm sort of assuming the OP is not deliberately putting it straight into the flame. Both of these materials will do better than typical thermoplastics and will tolerate dishwashers better than wood.

To meet your objections you could cast a handle using RTV silicone rubber, but that would be a bit more work.

Reply to
newshound

PTFE + fire = HF, nasty stuff.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I sometimes wonder that when watching youtube vids of folks that strip down fire damaged car engines with their bare hands when the screaming would start...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Erm... not a risk.

Adrian Caspersz

I was going to suggest, just buy another, but a look online suggests that the type with the riveted or welded on thin stainless blade seems to have disappeared. This is a shame as the blade is thinner and more flexible than on the newer ones.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

No they havent, plenty on aliexpress and amazon and ebay.

This is a shame as the

Yes, I prefer them myself.

Reply to
Jac Brown

Well I *did* look in both those places before posting and I didn?t see anything similar to mine but I possibly used the wrong search term.

What did you search for? Seems like there are a lot of different terms for a ?fish slice?.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Wodney, do you use some sort of schedule to introduce a new nym or as when you feel like.

They always stick out a mile.

Insert one of your std prepared insults below this line.

GH

Reply to
Marland

I doubt he searched for anything, it?s just Speed with a new nym being his usual contradicting self.

GH

Reply to
Marland

slotted stainless turner

Works much better in ebay, amazon and aliexpress include come silicone ones, ebay doesn?t.

Seems like there are a lot of different terms for

Yeah, I have bought some relatively recently myself and had a considerable problem until I realised that the keyword turner works best. The others arent so unique and I had forgotten the term fish slice although I certainly recognise it.

Reply to
Jac Brown

I found this one (these people are good for kitchen stuff). Doesn't have the low conductivity though.

also Nisbets are very good but there is a fixed postage charge. I usually find lots of stuff (blue roll at a pound each).

Bob Eager

You can get them from Nisbets.co.uk, for prices ranging from cheap to ridiculous. Ours is one of the ridiculous price ones, but I?m sure it was much cheaper when we bought it (hence some reluctance to just replacing it).

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn