Suggestions for applying adhesive to address labels

Cut a piece of this somewhat larger than the label, and use it to secure the label.

should protect the label from most weather attack. A 500mm wide, 10 metre long roll should last a while.

Reply to
John Williamson

Very good suggestion, thanks.

MM

Reply to
MM

Well, no, they're quite expensive. A sheet of A4 is very cheap.

MM

Reply to
MM

Or, push the boat out and use two strips of the narrower one ;-)

(its the way I label most stuff I flog on ebay - print out the prepaid postage label, and selotape it to the package)

Reply to
John Rumm

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D\

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D/

I must admit I find this all rather amusing - the OP is time rich, but is clearly a member of Scrooge class and is prepared to penny pinch by making his own labels. No doubt he will now come up with an equally poor excuse for not going to Aldi's/ Lidl's to pay a couple of quid for a packet containing 100 sheets with 20 labels on each ie 2000 labels for something like =A32.99. I've used them for years and they are entirely reliable

He now is going to cut out his labels from a printed A4 page and use sellotape to stick them on with - and how much does the sellotape cost him when a self adhesive label from the suggested sources is just over

1 penny each.

If the OP really does want to continue cutting and pasting, then from experience of a situation of processing 1500 orders for customers repeatedly over many years, he should not use glue of any sort but go the sellotape route as hand glued on labels have a habit of coming off and the order getting lost in the post.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

turn the envelope over and print a batch up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

not to mention the peanuts it costs to print the back of them - assuming < A4 sized.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I really do not like putting envelopes or card in my laser printer. I've had printers jam before, despite the flat path alternative. I'd rather use labels than risk buggering up the expensive printer.

MM

Reply to
MM

No, that would look ugly. The join, etc...

MM

Reply to
MM

They are only available sometimes.

A lot less. You don't have to buy named brands like 3M. Scooby Doos, Wilko, QD, even pound shops will sell quite adequate products for miles of the stuff.

Not when I glue 'em!

MM

Reply to
MM

Like I said, too risky (potential damage to the printer). The sound of paper scrunching up inside a printer sets my teeth on edge. Now, if I still had my old Qume daisy wheel.....

MM

Reply to
MM

my god knows how old laserjet 6MP takes anything and any part of its cost has long been written off.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, there ya go! Way cheaper than Avery and no-name alternatives.

I've bought a wide roll of Wilko's version of sellotape (2 rolls for a quid), so I'm going to prepare some labels by sticking them to the tape while still on the reel, then carefully re-wrapping the tape back on to the reel. That way, when I need a label I can unwrap just enough tape to expose the next label, then snip it off with scissors and stick in on the envelope. (I might just apply for that £1m engineering prize that everyone is talking about.)

MM

Reply to
MM

My printer is only a few months old.

MM

Reply to
MM

This one cost me 20 quid on ebay. I had another one but the cat peed into it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I doubt if you factor in the cost of you printing them (as in toner or ink) then your labels are 'very cheap' compared with something like Able Labels. They are £9.95/1000, i.e. less than 1p each. I'm sure you could probably find cheaper if you tried.

Reply to
tinnews

In message , MM writes

Somehow, most of the rest of the world seems to get by without

if you REALLY need labels, lets look at the cost for return addy labels which only need to be small

Even using Avery labels (you can get cheaper), what are they £20 / box?

If you use the 65/sheet and you get 100 pages / box, that's 6500 for £20 or three for a penny

FFS do you not have anything more important in your life?

Reply to
geoff

Nothing like as cheap as plain A4 paper and a miniscule amount of toner.

MM

Reply to
MM

Maybe it does. I've never tried it. I don't want to risk a jam.

MM

Reply to
MM

I am not the rest of the world, though. Let the rest of the world do what IT wants.

Why are you so angry that I won't simply do what you tell me?

MM

Reply to
MM