Strap Wrench

I need to remove a pressure gauge of a water pump we have. The diameter is 53mm. Strap wrench I have will not grip something small. Any sugestions ?

Reply to
fred

There are various oil filter removal tools some of which (motorcycle ones?) may go down to this sort of size. I think my little chain wrench would go that small as well but it might be a bit rough on the pressure gauge.

Reply to
Chris Green

53mm is within the range of water pump pliers?
Reply to
GB

I have successfully improvised one with a length of strong enough cord and a tyre lever, place the lever in position and pass the middle of the cor over it, wrap each leg of the cord 4 times round the barrel and then back to the lever, holding both lever and cord ends lever round.

Reply to
ajh

One of these, maybe?

I mainly use it on jars with bevelled lids which my usual opener can't grip.

Reply to
Custos Custodum

Normally, pressure gauges have a square section on the connection to fit a (thin) spanner on, otherwise tightening them up, in the first place, could strain parts of the gauge.

Reply to
SteveW

different strap wrench?

Mine will go down to 40mm

Andy Burns

Are you speaking about a back of gauge connection? If it's really tight I'd be cautious of damaging the gauge. Normally there's a square mount which can be engaged with a spanner.

Reply to
John J

fred snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

Try one of those things like a strap wrench which is designed to help you get a lid off a jar.

Reply to
Jamesy

Thats an idea but might be a bit savage

Reply to
fred

Its in a restricted area. I think I can see a metal connection but normal spanners won't fir.

You think it may be square section. Any hints as to size?

Reply to
fred

Use a small adjustable spanner, size will not matter then.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Typically 7/16" (assuming a 1/4" BSP fitting, which is pretty normal for that size of gauge). The spanner often needs to be thin though, as there is not much space between the fitting they screw into and the back of the gauge. The square section is up tight against the back of the gauge.

Reply to
SteveW

It may work, but often the gap between the fitting that the gauge is screwed into and the back of the gauge is very narrow and an adjustable spanner is too thick. Indeed, sometimes even a normal spanner needs to be ground thinner.

Reply to
SteveW

If you are looking for a very thin spanner with a variety of sizes, than a traditional bike spanner may do.

However I've had a look on line and can't find my old style spanners with several open ended heads. They seem to be mainly ring spanners instead.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Cone spanners are thin, commonly available in 13-16mm and less commonly up to 28mm.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Hadn't thought of bike spanners. I have a tool box dedicated to bike tools. I'll have a look in there

Thanks for the idea

Reply to
fred
<snip>