Strange behaviour from LED replacement bulbs

Hi All,

I've just replaced 4 GU10 halogens with LED GU10s - 2 of which were stocked with 15 blue LEDs. When I put them in they started to glow, despite the power being off - just a very gentle glow that was barely perceptible. I also installed 2 white LED replacements - these were definitely off until switched on.

What is going on?

Cheers - Adam...

Reply to
Adam-the-Kiwi

See the hundreds of earlier threads about CFL tubes doing this. This is just a slightly different manifestation - the bulb glows not flashes. The cause is that the typical house has places where live and switched cables run adjacent to each other, often in the same cable, and the rapid change in voltage as the AC waveform changes polarity a hundred times a second means that it induces a current in the nearby conductor.

This isn't normally noticable with 'ordinary' light bulbs, but with CFL tubes, they may flash, and LED ones glow slightly. This is utterly harmless.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

call it night lighting

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Thanks Ian. So, essentially, it's just an induced current in the switched cable?

Cheers - Adam...

Reply to
Adam-the-Kiwi

The design of the power supplies of these basically means that all of the leaked current goes straight to the LED.

Reply to
Ian Stirling