Stove/Oven replacement questions

Dunno, probably just short for "forced convection".

Reply to
Pete C.

There are convection ovens which rely entirely on a fan and heating element around the fan for heat. That is the design of many commercial ovens, which work very well, and also of a number of residential countertop ovens, which might not work so well due to lack of power. Then there are built-in convection ovens which are like normal ovens, with heating elements top and bottom, but then also a fan to circulate air, with or without a heating element for the fan. I think the latter works quite well, and you can choose to switch the fan on or not according to your needs.

I think Viking has some very expensive combination cooktops. You can also get an induction-only cooktop, and have a freestanding plug-in hotplate for when you need to use non-induction cookware. Freestanding induction hobs are also available (and cheap), and probably worth trying before you take the induction plunge.

There are stainless steel pressure cookers. Kuhn Rikon makes quite a few models, and I am pretty sure they are all induction-compatible. (But don't take my word for it, because I'm not entirely sure.) You can also get magnetic steel or iron plates that allow you to use non-magnetic cookware on induction hobs -- the induction hob heats the plate, which heats the cookware, more or less the same as a ceramic or electric hob. This is obviously a bit less efficient than using induction-compatible cookware directly.

Reply to
Randall Nortman

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 18:51:44 GMT someone who may be "James Silverton" wrote this:-

Given that one of the groups posted to was a UK one I presume the original poster wanted a UK reply. In which case there are fan ovens and conventional ones. An example would be

has both.

Had I been asked what a convection oven was then I would have assumed it was a conventional oven.

Reply to
David Hansen

To the OP: Forget about convection. It's over rated.

I saw some awesome stoves when I visited London last year, so get out and shop! I didn't write down any brand names because I didn't think I could find them here in the US - and if I did, service would be a problem here out here on the West Coast.

Reply to
sf

And they probably wouldn't work on your electricity...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

220v is used for cookers....
Reply to
Andy Hall

US cookers run on 220v, as do clothes dryers, water heaters, and some air-conditioners.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I have found that combined oveb/grills are a pain. The grill element gets dirty and produces a lot of smoke.

I've no experience of induction hobs. I chose a gas hob because I like the ability to control the heat and it still works when there's a power cut.

Mark

I've had a look at some combinations and, indeed, they are very expensive. So I've decided to go with a conventional whirlpool ceramic hob.

However, I'd like to get a free standing induction hob as well. Do you have any makes that you can suggest? I haven't been able to find any in South Africa at all. I'd like to know so I can buy one if I'm abroad some day.

Reply to
Peter Brooks