Stolen motorhome

The £60,000 one was round the back being washed. I'll remind him of the thatcham diskloc.

He sold his 1986 Fiat? camper van quite quickly. A similar one reg in 1988 with a petrol engine and no MOT (needed welding) opposite went for £850 on ebay. People pay silly prices for them. The buyer just broke it up for parts (after driving it from W Sussex to Leicester, on trade plates).

Reply to
Andrew

Depending on the insurance company, vehicle (make and value), the insurers have different requirements.

I'm a bit surprised their insurers didn't expect a Thatcham 1 alarm for the vehicle you describe, even though as motorhomes go it isn't one of the more expensive ones.

Ford based ones seem to have been especially targeted recently- at least one of the insurers sent a circular out regarding changes in conditions. It didn't impact us so I don't recall the details.

Reply to
Brian Reay

My mate takes the wheels off of his. Plus removes battery and a couple of engine parts.

Reply to
harry

Is he a pikey ?.

Reply to
Andrew

are the owners on holiday?

Reply to
tim...

I believe that is common practice.

The was a car in a pub car park that I work at the other morning. CCTV showed it been parked up and the driver not going into the pub. Leaving cars in a pub car park overnight is quite common around here (I have no idea how common it is elsewhere) but the landlord usually knows the car's owner.

It was stolen (keys taken from a house burglary)

Reply to
ARW

That's where ground anchors can help. ;-)

One of my trailers is 'attached' to a tow ball welded to some heavy steel box, concreted in the ground (with a crossbar at the bottom, heads of the hitch nuts welded over). If that was right underneath the caravan / motor home and over the axle it might also help a bit?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Oh. Did you steal it then?

I didnt see any mention of HOW it was stolen

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

was it down a dirt track with overhead services and dodgy drainage in kent... ?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

because you have an old junky Fiat junk.....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

One can buy on eBay, sound bombs, hide one behind the dash or somewhere else where it would deafen a feef sitting driver seat(maybe above head liner?) fit a vibration switch or a reed Switch or mercury switch to trigger said bomb on depressing of a pedal. Hide a deactivate switch somewhere only you know where. (You will soon learn not to touch pedals before turning off said switch...) Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

If they really really want it, and can't disable the security without you, they will take you (or family member) and make you disable it.

Admittedly it's a rarity. but it happens.

Like I said, at some point you have to think about insurance.

Reply to
Jethro_uk
<snip>

Of course.

I guess that may be more about the value of things, rather then them just taking it to use or because they can. Like nicking a motorbike or scooter to use for a crime, joyriding or just to rag around the street, rather than to break / sell etc.

eg, The things that people might put more effort into nicking are generally things that will be sold for good money, where the item itself has a fiscal value.

True, but some things aren't easily insurable, if at all or if they are, it's often not economically viable. Like getting stuff insured in a remote building.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Does make it a bit more obvious that the thief is up to no good and that its not just the owner with a problem getting the van started

And its not hard to design the van with a crook lock thingie that can't be easily cut with a battery angle grinder. Harder to add one to a van which doesn?t have the designed in tho.

What happened with the alarm ? Did it go off and was ignored or did it never go off ?

Reply to
jeikppkywk

But a lot more attention is paid if the alarm is howling its head off at the time. And the perps obviously need a lot more hardware than just a battery angle grinder too.

Add a decent tracker that uses the same approach as the iphone find my phone system and there is f*ck all chance of the crims being able to pull it off successfully.

Doesn?t matter what they assume with the tracking.

Reply to
jeikppkywk

I wouldn?t use a pin alarm, too each to check for that before taking the van.

Better to have one based on an iphone and use the movement sensors to trigger the alarm and have full tracking of the van, and video footage of the crims in the drivers seat etc. While in theory they could wear a balaclava, its less likely that they would get away with driving off with the alarm blaring while doing that.

Reply to
jeikppkywk

Trivial to ensure that they can't do that.

Not with those who have enough of a clue to ensure that that can't happen.

I don?t,

Reply to
jeikppkywk

fords are quality ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Graveyards are full of people who once thought that

The first step in the clue is 100% vigilance. Personally I like to relax once in a while ...

Good for you. Neither did Tony Martin.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

All true for a causal "let's nick a motorhome" type of crims, who aren't that bothered by the haul.

But if someone has decided it's *your* motorhome they want, then all bets are off.

Slightly OT, but I recall a few years ago there was some official police advice to high-end motor*bike* owners to ensure they never kept the bike at it's registered address. Somehow scrotes had been tapping the DVLA to get details and just opening the garage and helping themselves.

I also STR stories of some dodgy individuals in dealers who were ripping the details from the dealer database to get addresses and sets of spare keys.

Reply to
Jethro_uk