Sticky Black Rubber

Rub with washing soda paste and elbow grease.

Reply to
F Murtz

solution at

based.

Well I tried brake fluid (DOT4 Universal) on one half of the trimmer casing. It shifted the sticky cack with a bit of persistance. Used meths on the other half, quicker and lesss effort.

Not sure either the brake fluid or meths has completely removed the soft touch coating. These coatings seem to be two layers, a top one that goes all sticky and 'orrible and a tougher, slighly matt, non sticky one that can become patchy against the shiny base plastic. This second layer can be a right B to shift. But for the moment it looks OK and isn't sticky.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I wonder if modern brake fluid is as good for this kind of stuff as the old variety that would strip paint?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I used alcohol on a Pure One Flow Radio.

I removed the stickiness and most of the rubber but left a few unsightly patches.

Interested in the vinegar idea.

I?ve seen it on other things but they?ve been cheap enough to just bin. The radio, while quite old, is a good radio.

Reply to
Radio Man