Splitting car antennas

In the early 80's used to split an non amplified car antenna between a push button MW radio and a pioneer FM radio cassette and it worked well....would it be OK to split a non amplified whip between FM radio and DAB radio or one radio with two inputs or are the frequencies to close together and there would be a loss of signal to both?...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Well anything is possible I guess, if you use a resistive one there will be losses, but inductive ones might be less lossy, after all those sets with just one input have to be doing it inside unless they are SDR based as a lot of the modern ones now are. However I would say that modern cars seem to use diversity aerial systems to make dab more reliable, or so they claim. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) pretended :

My cars TV uses a diversity antenna system, it works surprisingly well, no interruptions in DTV reception as it switches.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

You won't be able to get accurate matching so it's unpredictable.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Jim GM4DHJ ... submitted this idea :

Yes!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

My previous car had diversity for FM. Much needed because of the crappy screen mounted aerials.

The old car - home fitted radio with DAB - has a proper roof mounted bee sting aerial with head amps. Works much better than the screen mounted diversity types.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've never ever seen a splitter for a car aerial. I'd have said it something very few indeed would ever want. Why would you want to fit two radios to a private car?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)