Speakers

of the rear with only the power and speaker cables coming out. Didnt mention that it was a crap design with ALL components for tape radio and phono on one board with the worst crosstalk youve ever heard !! The amount of decent valve amps that have been thrown for those :-(

Reply to
Staffbull

Glad you put that smiley in, I thought you were the guy who sells £250 kettle leads which are ' noisless'.

Dave

Reply to
gort

Fat cable on speakers does make a distinct difference. Nothing special, just needs to be fatter than the tiny stuff lots of systems come with.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Not quite !! QED silver anniversary is damn good stuff for the price, as for power cables a good quality IEC lead under =A35 does the job as good as any, I am looking into having a dedicated socket for the hi fi from the CU though, as soon as I work out how to route it to the music room without disrupting too much !!

Reply to
Staffbull

More use is a dedicated earth. As well as your spur, run the earth for it direct back to the main earth block in 4mm cable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for that, The CU is in the old kitchen directly below the bath, so I'll run it through the bathroom up into the loft and back down into the music room, I was thinking of derating the cable to 4mm anyhoo, the "audiophile" in me says it will sound better, like my CD stoplight painted CD's and the CD blacklight disc I use to play all CD's, not forgetting the Sorthobane feet for all equipment, the speaker cable painstakingly cut to the same lengths, and amny many more ways I've spent money on hifi !!!!

Reply to
Staffbull

"dave sanderson" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

I think Dave is quite right on this; the problem is that real sounds are asymmetrical - consult any trumpet and oscilloscope.

So although there would be no audible difference on sine waves, any other sounds would be turned upside down, and golden ears can hear this. I confess I never could, but nevertheless was made to keep the phase right from source to direction of music of the speaker cone, as any purist broadcasting organisation, if there are any left, would

mike

Reply to
mike

Just not so, since you're not dealing with an electrical signal but sound pressure waves. So called absolute phase is another myth.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

'> > So although there would be no audible difference on sine waves, any

Actually before they get to the speakers cones you *are* dealing with an AC electrical signal. thats why I said *most* speakers. It is concevable that there are crossover designs which are none symetrical, and could sound different when wired backwards. it was not the 'noise' which I was refering to, as that is just a set of compressions and rarefactions in the air, and I doubt anyone could tell the difference in phase for the same sound. (hmm sounds like an interesting research project...)

Incidentally I did once have a set of near field monitors which were labeled wrong, as the assembly monkey had wired the internals of one backwards.

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

Yes. Not only did I notice a lack of bass, but the sound seemed "strange".

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

That's because the speakers were out of phase with one another. Apart from bass cancellation, you get a weird stereo sound stage, with sounds appearing from other than between the speakers. But that's different from so called absolute phase.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Tis so -

mike

cycle. But you're not so it doesn't.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thats mostly bollocks..out of phase speakers - yes..you lose the bass and the stereo image goes weird..but a phase reversal overall?

If you have ever been anywhere near a recording studio you will see that phase reversal is all over the place in every single stage, and that phase shifts happen too..you don't even want to think about what a pre-digital recorder does to the phases of signals at different frequencies...or what a concert hall does to the sound when it bounces off the walls and people..or what a simple movement of your head does;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Well, you'd have to take that up with the golden-ears.

I confessed _I_ couldn't tell the difference, they seemed to be able to in tests

mike

Reply to
mike

this is a bit like saying its conceiveable there could be people with 3 arms so we should design jumpers to suit. In either case there might on rare occasoin be such a screwup, but if so you've got a real problem to think about rather than the irrelevance of absolute polarity.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Most of these sort of tests aren't conducted in a scientifically approved way - they really need to be double blind tests to have any validity. When they are the 'golden ears' turn out to get random results same as everyone else.

As an aside, there's a $10000 prize waiting for anyone who can reliably tell the difference between adequately specified cables - speaker, interconnect, mains etc. And it's still unclaimed. The 'golden ears' don't like the idea of not knowing what they're listening to...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've certainly noticed a difference in bass drum sound if the polarity is inverted. The initial thump of a dampened bass drum is often not much more than half a cycle long.

Cheers

James.

Reply to
James Perrett

But inverts if you stand behind the drummer..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher