Sound engineering OT

If she has one not too far away, approach your local community radio station they are always in need of help! If shes anywhere near Cambridge then Cambridge 105 is well resourced for engineering two operational OB vans and the staff to crew them:)
But extra hands are very welcome!
https://cambridge105.co.uk/
--
Tony Sayer

OK Tony. Duly forwarded. She is near Southwold, Suffolk. I have an idea there is/was some local radio operating out of the coastguard lookout building there.
--
Tim Lamb

On Mon, 29 May 2017 08:21:48 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Probably not what she is wanting but has she thought of volunteering for hospital radio. First steps could lead to a more relevant experience through contacts made there.
snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk says...

Regrettably no longer functioning
http://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news/community-s-sadness-as-southwold- radio-station-closes-1-4498961
or
https://tinyurl.com/blythe-105
"Community?s sadness as Southwold radio station closes"
--

Terry

Ah! Thats a bit of a problem that. Community stations are in fact small bushiness and expenditure can very easily rise above income. Some times decent grants can be obtained which can assist in setting up the station but the real damage is in the running costs especially if you employ anyone.
Invariably some rental will have to be paid for the station premises then theres rates, you may be able to get those reduced, but comms, phone, Internet, streaming mains power WT act licences transmitter site rentals and then paying the staff.
Advertising can be difficult and usually needs someone with that sort of skill, which is very hard to come by.
At Cambridge we have a treasurer whose arse is considerably tighter then that of any duck or creature who can dive to a 1000 fathoms. Which helps a lot.
None of that if it seems like criticism is directed at Southwold it has happened to a lot of small stations up and down the UK.
--
Tony Sayer

Must admit to not knowing anyone who came into my branch of the industry via local radio work experience. Although quite a few helped out in hospital radio after getting their full time job.
--
*Why can't women put on mascara with their mouth closed?

I suspect Dave the broadcast scene has changed a bit since those days;!.
Mind you hospital radio is still there but its changed quite a lot too patients don't stay that long in hospital anymore like they used to do...
--
Tony Sayer

True. But the sort of experience you might get working in radio is likely very different to the skills needed when starting off in film or TV sound.
--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *

Make Tea - check-
get and distribute biccys - check -
arrange bags of chips - check..
perhaps not;)..