Soldering iron bits

Setting fire to them really doesn't improve a beer. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

ITYM carbonation. Carbonisation would be interesting!

I quite like Spitfire; brewed round here. But White Shield is better.

Reply to
Bob Eager

One of those is what I made on my first workshop course. The bit had a channel in it for placing cable.

Reply to
charles

My first iron was one of those. 1s 6d in Woolies.

While I was at school I used it to build all all my early valve radios and amplifiers.

Mum used to grumble about the gas I was using, so I put a penny in the meter from time to time.

Mum just grumbled that the pointer didn't move unless you put a shilling in!

Reply to
Terry Casey

All right all right all right! Calm down class! I knew it was the wrong word but I couldn't be bothered to remember the correct one.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

On 02:14 7 Nov 2018, Bill Wright wrote in news:prthp9$1ast$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

I sometimes buy these for people in a gift pack. I thought they were posh beers which a beer drinker would appreciate. Are you saying I'm giving them second rate beer? :(

Reply to
Pamela

That depends on the sophistication of the recipient. Think of it as bacon. Some people would be very happy with a gift of supermarket bacon, water-injected, flavour-injected, and vacuum packed though it may be. Other more discerning people would no doubt thank you warmly whilst thinking wistfully of proper bacon cured in the back room of a proper butcher. Both products are called 'bacon', just as my bike (possibly worth a fiver) and Bradley Wiggins' bike are both called bicycles.

Basically there are two sorts of beer drinker: those who know about bottle-conditioned beer and those who don't. Those who don't know or understand are fooled by the fancy labels and absurd names given to many inferior beers. The supermarkets exploit this consumer ignorance by having signs saying 'Craft Beers', which is completely meaningless.

This isn't a fanciful, trendy, faddy thing; it's a real difference in quality and taste. I can drink non-bottle-conditioned beer: at first it tastes OK but as the pint progresses I become aware of off-tastes, lack of aroma, and failing carbonation.

There are some beer types that can be quite acceptable when not bottle conditioned. These are premium lagers and stouts. Unfortunately traditional British-style bitters and pale ales respond very badly to pasturisation (etc).

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Absurdly named beers seen in M&S recently ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Daft innit? Shows how stupid some people are.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

For Brian, the names are "wood will fall down", "I don't have a red shrimp", "stick a finger in the soil" and "hair in the mailbox".

Reply to
Andy Burns

On 07:13 8 Nov 2018, Bill Wright wrote in news:ps0nm2$evb$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

So which brands should I buy to make a good gift for a keen beer drinker who (hopefully) appreciates quality?

Reply to
Pamela

It has to say Bottle Conditioned on the label. Few and far between in supermarkets, at least round here.

Try this outfit:

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright