Soldering iron bits

On Wednesday, 7 November 2018 19:08:05 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

potentiomenter size hole in their plastic box for mounting switches and pot s, even LEDs.

Is that good workshop practice, I provide a dremel drill with stand and two microcraft drills for such things, I have 3 reamers, a pillar drill and al l sorts of tools for such things, we even have TWO laser cutters. I DO NOT believe teaching students to use a soldering iron to make holes in ABS or any plastic box is a good idea.

On Thursday, 8 November 2018 11:54:13 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:

a potentiomenter size hole in their plastic box for mounting switches and p ots, even LEDs.

wo microcraft drills for such things, I have 3 reamers, a pillar drill and all sorts of tools for such things, we even have TWO laser cutters. I DO N OT believe teaching students to use a soldering iron to make holes in ABS o r any plastic box is a good idea.
A cheap iron at a suitable temp is a great tool for holing plastic. Obviously an iron at soldering temp is not.
NT

Assuming the hole doesn't much matter.
--
*If God dropped acid, would he see people?

On Thursday, 8 November 2018 15:28:19 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

lol
On Thursday, 8 November 2018 14:45:47 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

e a potentiomenter size hole in their plastic box for mounting switches and pots, even LEDs.

two microcraft drills for such things, I have 3 reamers, a pillar drill an d all sorts of tools for such things, we even have TWO laser cutters. I DO NOT believe teaching students to use a soldering iron to make holes in ABS or any plastic box is a good idea.

It's not the sort of thing we'd encourage our studetns to do, and as we hav e 10 soldering irons out continiously and another 10 for project work just how many of these plastic melting soldering irons should we get and what ha ppens when we use HIP , it give off nasty fumes. We have a department SEMS for doing that sort of thing if needed.
https://www.sems.qmul.ac.uk/

On Thursday, 8 November 2018 16:04:10 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:

ake a potentiomenter size hole in their plastic box for mounting switches a nd pots, even LEDs.

nd two microcraft drills for such things, I have 3 reamers, a pillar drill and all sorts of tools for such things, we even have TWO laser cutters. I DO NOT believe teaching students to use a soldering iron to make holes in A BS or any plastic box is a good idea.

ave 10 soldering irons out continiously and another 10 for project work jus t how many of these plastic melting soldering irons should we get
why are you asking me?

I wasn't aware polystyrene gave off nasty fumes wen heated above it's glass transition point. Do you have a reference for that?

typical mad inefficiency.
NT
On Thursday, 8 November 2018 17:59:09 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

make a potentiomenter size hole in their plastic box for mounting switches and pots, even LEDs.

and two microcraft drills for such things, I have 3 reamers, a pillar dril l and all sorts of tools for such things, we even have TWO laser cutters. I DO NOT believe teaching students to use a soldering iron to make holes in ABS or any plastic box is a good idea.

have 10 soldering irons out continiously and another 10 for project work j ust how many of these plastic melting soldering irons should we get

Well who suggested "a cheap iron at a suitable temp is a great tool for hol ing plastic"
I've never heard this from any workshop person, I know it can be done as ca n using a screwdriver and a hammer as a chisel but I won;t teach the studen ts to do such a thing in the lab, they can do what they want at home as you proabbly do, they could use a ciggerette lighter on astanley knife too, bu t we don't allow naked flames in the lab due to fire risks.

ss transition point. Do you have a reference for that?
We can't use HIPs in our laser cutters, we can use acylic but NOT HIP.

Typical supidity which is normal reserved for those in admin, who thinbk as we are a lab we can do anyhting any lab can do.
On Friday, 9 November 2018 11:34:42 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:

to make a potentiomenter size hole in their plastic box for mounting switch es and pots, even LEDs.

nd and two microcraft drills for such things, I have 3 reamers, a pillar dr ill and all sorts of tools for such things, we even have TWO laser cutters. I DO NOT believe teaching students to use a soldering iron to make holes in ABS or any plastic box is a good idea.

we have 10 soldering irons out continiously and another 10 for project work just how many of these plastic melting soldering irons should we get

oling plastic"
you asked me how many tools you needed, a silly question

can using a screwdriver and a hammer as a chisel but I won;t teach the stud ents to do such a thing in the lab, they can do what they want at home as y ou proabbly do, they could use a ciggerette lighter on astanley knife too, but we don't allow naked flames in the lab due to fire risks.
what do any of those have to do with a tool & process that is safe & effect ive?

lass transition point. Do you have a reference for that?

why would anyone be using polystyrene for project boxes?

as we are a lab we can do anyhting any lab can do.
On Friday, 9 November 2018 12:06:14 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

e:

n to make a potentiomenter size hole in their plastic box for mounting swit ches and pots, even LEDs.

tand and two microcraft drills for such things, I have 3 reamers, a pillar drill and all sorts of tools for such things, we even have TWO laser cutter s. I DO NOT believe teaching students to use a soldering iron to make hole s in ABS or any plastic box is a good idea.

c.

s we have 10 soldering irons out continiously and another 10 for project wo rk just how many of these plastic melting soldering irons should we get

holing plastic"

yes and it;s silly to suggest using a soldering iron as we have them for so ldering, we donlt want studtns using them for mnakign holes in plastic, and then they;d need to tell which one for plastic and which for solder and I' ve set to see such an iron designed for metling plastic. If one exists then with classes of up to 50 doing a practicle we'd need to buy enough so would depend on price but I've yet to see such a thing so may be we will need to get one specailly made.
Yes any fool can ram a soldering iron into plastic but getting it back in a condition fo soldering means cleanign the bit and that takes time.

s can using a screwdriver and a hammer as a chisel but I won;t teach the st udents to do such a thing in the lab, they can do what they want at home as you proabbly do, they could use a ciggerette lighter on astanley knife too , but we don't allow naked flames in the lab due to fire risks.

ctive?
Safe , effective what do you mean, some plastics give off nasty fumes and t we don't want soldering iron with melted plastic on the tips smoldering awa y. We don't encourage our students in bad practices.

glass transition point. Do you have a reference for that?

HIP isn't just polystyrene.
Here's what we use, https://www.rapidonline.com/Catalogue/Search?Query=HIP
it's so students can easily cut and use for *prototyping* even with everyda y scissors or our paper or PCB guilotines. If they can get everything right we can supply almost any material. If they want a solid gold box it's OK b y me but they have a £50-£100 limit for projects. We encourage them to spend the money and time on electronic componets as th ey are doing courses in electronic engineering but if they want to spend th e money & time on a solid gold hinge hoping the examiners will be impressed by their project after 3 years that's up to them and their supervisor.
If the want to use 1" solid oak for making a remote control box they can bu t we don't have the facilities for it.
On Friday, 9 November 2018 14:16:06 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:

ote:

ron to make a potentiomenter size hole in their plastic box for mounting sw itches and pots, even LEDs.

stand and two microcraft drills for such things, I have 3 reamers, a pilla r drill and all sorts of tools for such things, we even have TWO laser cutt ers. I DO NOT believe teaching students to use a soldering iron to make ho les in ABS or any plastic box is a good idea.

tic.

as we have 10 soldering irons out continiously and another 10 for project work just how many of these plastic melting soldering irons should we get

or holing plastic"

soldering,
non sequitur

hey;d need to tell which one for plastic and which for solder
I didn't realise that would be a challenge for you

o buy enough so would depend on price but I've yet to see such a thing so m aybe we will need to get one specailly made.
I pity your employer

a condition fo soldering means cleanign the bit and that takes time.
which is precisely why I suggested a separate reduced power iron. No cleani ng required, no burning of plastic.

as can using a screwdriver and a hammer as a chisel but I won;t teach the students to do such a thing in the lab, they can do what they want at home as you proabbly do, they could use a ciggerette lighter on astanley knife t oo, but we don't allow naked flames in the lab due to fire risks.

fective?

if you can't work that out we're not going to get far.

melted plastic on the tips smoldering away.
that's why I suggested a separate reduced power iron. No smouldering.

Feel free to explain what's bad about melting plastic at a suitable tempera ture.

's glass transition point. Do you have a reference for that?

.
website not cooperative
On Friday, 9 November 2018 14:36:16 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

:
wrote:

iron to make a potentiomenter size hole in their plastic box for mounting switches and pots, even LEDs.

th stand and two microcraft drills for such things, I have 3 reamers, a pil lar drill and all sorts of tools for such things, we even have TWO laser cu tters. I DO NOT believe teaching students to use a soldering iron to make holes in ABS or any plastic box is a good idea.

astic.

nd as we have 10 soldering irons out continiously and another 10 for projec t work just how many of these plastic melting soldering irons should we get

for holing plastic"

r soldering,

they;d need to tell which one for plastic and which for solder

No challenge for me it;s when a solderign iron has been used for melting pl astic then someone use it to solder something and ends up breathi9ng in mel ted plastic as they try to solder.
I guess you've never tried.

to buy enough so would depend on price but I've yet to see such a thing so maybe we will need to get one specailly made.

So do I when they are clueless.

in a condition fo soldering means cleanign the bit and that takes time.

ning required, no burning of plastic.
But we can't have up to 50 students queuing for that iron, there aren't eno ugh hours in the day (a typical lab has a 2 hour time slot) . Only an idiot would think it a good idea to have one iron out.

th melted plastic on the tips smoldering away.

you really have NO idea do you not a clue. We teach electronics that is what this department does.
can you show me a link to this iron which can be used for making holes in p lastic ?
We have class sizes ranging from 15 to 350, would you suggest we get them t o share ONE PC too. But our new lab will be getting 96 PCs why don't we just get one ?

rature.
Please show where this is shown as good practice in the engineering world.
Same with soldering we teach them to solder not to just ope croc clips or t wisting wires together is enough, that's why we have soldering irons.

it's glass transition point. Do you have a reference for that?

IP.

WTF ? or WTF is wrong with you.

And melted plastic all over the bit is such an aid to soldering. ;-)
--
*You can't teach an old mouse new clicks *

On Friday, 9 November 2018 15:13:01 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:

te:

wrote:

ng iron to make a potentiomenter size hole in their plastic box for mountin g switches and pots, even LEDs.

with stand and two microcraft drills for such things, I have 3 reamers, a p illar drill and all sorts of tools for such things, we even have TWO laser cutters. I DO NOT believe teaching students to use a soldering iron to mak e holes in ABS or any plastic box is a good idea.

plastic.

and as we have 10 soldering irons out continiously and another 10 for proj ect work just how many of these plastic melting soldering irons should we g et

ol for holing plastic"

for soldering,

en they;d need to tell which one for plastic and which for solder

phew

use it to solder something and ends up breathi9ng in melted plastic as the y try to solder.
how exactly is anyone going to solder or burn plastic with an iron that doe sn't get hot enough to do either?

that's your problem, you guess instead of find out

ed to buy enough so would depend on price but I've yet to see such a thing so maybe we will need to get one specailly made.

I guess we agree on something

k in a condition fo soldering means cleanign the bit and that takes time.

eaning required, no burning of plastic.

nough hours in the day (a typical lab has a 2 hour time slot) . Only an idi ot would think it a good idea to have one iron out.
to blame me for not deciding how many tools you might need is laughable

with melted plastic on the tips smoldering away.

Well let's see, I've been doing electronics for decades now. I won't bore y ou with what I've done in that time, but 'not a clue' certainly does not de scribe it. You OTOH don't even know what a straw man is!
Any person that's been doing electronics for decades and posesses even the most basic of thinking skills has encountered the soldering iron misuse iss ue and understands how to solve it. That does appear to rule you out.

where 'we' does not equal you. In fact you're explicitly banned from teachi ng there aren't you.

plastic ?
google soldering iron. Now comes the hard bit: see if you can work out how to make it run consistently cooler.

to share ONE PC too.

are you still thinking your tool purchasing decisions are my responsibility ?

perature.

.
I see you've failed to explain what's bad about melting plastic at a suitab le temperature. Quelle surprise.

twisting wires together is enough, that's why we have soldering irons.
you'd have to fail to understand even elementary engineering skills to thin k that the same or comparable

e it's glass transition point. Do you have a reference for that?

HIP.

one of my problems is talking to dunces on usenet
On Friday, 9 November 2018 16:04:25 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

:
rote:

e:

ve wrote:

ring iron to make a potentiomenter size hole in their plastic box for mount ing switches and pots, even LEDs.

l with stand and two microcraft drills for such things, I have 3 reamers, a pillar drill and all sorts of tools for such things, we even have TWO lase r cutters. I DO NOT believe teaching students to use a soldering iron to m ake holes in ABS or any plastic box is a good idea.

g plastic.

o, and as we have 10 soldering irons out continiously and another 10 for pr oject work just how many of these plastic melting soldering irons should we get

tool for holing plastic"

m for soldering,

then they;d need to tell which one for plastic and which for solder

but it is for you it seems.

ne use it to solder something and ends up breathi9ng in melted plastic as t hey try to solder.

oesn't get hot enough to do either?
What use is a soldering iron that doesn't get hot enough to solder or melt plastic, why would you buy such a thing ?

I know, the fact is that using a soldering iron to make holes in plastic bo xes isn't a good idea and what will they do when they go from plastic to wo od in their final design ?

ack in a condition fo soldering means cleanign the bit and that takes time.

cleaning required, no burning of plastic.

enough hours in the day (a typical lab has a 2 hour time slot) . Only an i diot would think it a good idea to have one iron out.

It's called being practicel something I need to do and you don't. If a student space (of which we haven't enough which is why we are moving t o a new bigger lab, we can't have irons out that can only be used for melti ng plastic. Studetns should learn proper workshop practaces and using a sol dering iron to make a hole in plastic is not something we will teach. Same as WE don;t advise using screwdrivers as chisels or scapels as saws or soldering iron bits as centre punches.

n with melted plastic on the tips smoldering away.

Me too.

inly does not describe it. You OTOH don't even know what a straw man is!
Teaching is differnt from DIY, pity yuo can;t understand that. At home I'd have no problem with using my soldering iron to melt plastic a s I would immedialty clean the iron rather than walk out the door leaving s omeone else to clean it after it's gone cold and someone needs to use it fo r actually soldering.

e most basic of thinking skills has encountered the soldering iron misuse i ssue and understands how to solve it. That does appear to rule you out.
No that ruleds me in I;'m not here going to cover up stupid practices.

hing there aren't you.
Depends who yuo talk to for those calcualting the slaeries yes I;m banned f rom teaching from those who want jobs done I impart my knowledge, because i f I was classed as teaching they'd have to pay me more. That's all it comes down to.

in plastic ?

w to make it run consistently cooler.
How by using the lock function and after a students as finshed melting thei r plastic I then have to clean the bit and reset the temperature for solder ing while not knowing if the iron would be used for soldering or making hol es in plastic, so tell me how in a small, class of 20 studetns will I know which one will want to make a hole in plastic and which ones want to solder at any given point in time.
Ypu'ev no idea have you, you're just an average DIYer.

em to share ONE PC too.

ty?
No they're mine and you're clueeless when it come to such things. It's rather like some on here think they can park at bus stops, and anywhe relese they like but if yuor job is a driving instructior yuo don;t teach y uor pupils to do such things, and we wonlt be teaching our studetns to use a soldering iron to melt plastic. If they provide us with workshop facliities then who evers in charge of th at lab then they can do whatever they thing is right, that's why in univeri sties we have differnt lab setups for differnt disaplines. That's why we have special chemical sinks in chemistrry and biology labs. It;s why we have fume cupbords in science labs but NOT in electronics labs. And it's why we have 3 phase here but they donlt in the drama & art departm ents. I assume in the canteens they have suace[ans and cookerts and don't use so ldering irons as cooking utensils.

emperature.

ld.

able temperature. Quelle surprise.
You realy need it explaining again, you're that thick ! When you mely plastic with a hot object the plastic tends to stick to it, it produces fumes, and the plastic is difficult to remove.

or twisting wires together is enough, that's why we have soldering irons.

ink that the same or comparable
yes using a match to melt plastic or using a solderign iron is an elimentry skill we we are above when it comes to teaching electronics. You can use a stanley knife to strip wire too, or scissors or even your te eth, we could use masking tape as insulation tape, but we are considered pr ofesasionals and will NOT teach such bad practacies even if we do use solde ring irons at home to melt plastic or anything else, but we DO NOT support these archaic and possibley dangerous practaces when it comes to teaching, you're just too stupid to undetstand teaching is different to what some ars ehole gets up to at home using their own equipment that's all.

ove it's glass transition point. Do you have a reference for that?

OT HIP.

Then don't talk to yourself on newsnet ir anything else. What is wrong with the link I provided above ? Here it is again.
https://www.rapidonline.com/Catalogue/Search?Query=HIP
On Monday, 12 November 2018 12:34:22 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:

te:

wrote:

ote:

dave wrote:

dering iron to make a potentiomenter size hole in their plastic box for mou nting switches and pots, even LEDs.

ill with stand and two microcraft drills for such things, I have 3 reamers, a pillar drill and all sorts of tools for such things, we even have TWO la ser cutters. I DO NOT believe teaching students to use a soldering iron to make holes in ABS or any plastic box is a good idea.

ing plastic.

do, and as we have 10 soldering irons out continiously and another 10 for project work just how many of these plastic melting soldering irons should we get

t tool for holing plastic"

hem for soldering,

[...]

g.

tainly does not describe it. You OTOH don't even know what a straw man is!

as I would immedialty clean the iron rather than walk out the door leaving someone else to clean it after it's gone cold and someone needs to use it for actually soldering.

the most basic of thinking skills has encountered the soldering iron misuse issue and understands how to solve it. That does appear to rule you out.

aching there aren't you.

from teaching from those who want jobs done I impart my knowledge, because if I was classed as teaching they'd have to pay me more. That's all it com es down to.

s in plastic ?

how to make it run consistently cooler.

eir plastic I then have to clean the bit and reset the temperature for sold ering while not knowing if the iron would be used for soldering or making h oles in plastic, so tell me how in a small, class of 20 studetns will I kno w which one will want to make a hole in plastic and which ones want to sold er at any given point in time.

them to share ONE PC too.

lity?

herelese they like but if yuor job is a driving instructior yuo don;t teach yuor pupils to do such things, and we wonlt be teaching our studetns to us e a soldering iron to melt plastic.

that lab then they can do whatever they thing is right, that's why in unive risties we have differnt lab setups for differnt disaplines.

s.

tments.

soldering irons as cooking utensils.

temperature.

orld.

itable temperature. Quelle surprise.

, it produces fumes, and the plastic is difficult to remove.

s or twisting wires together is enough, that's why we have soldering irons.

think that the same or comparable

ry skill we we are above when it comes to teaching electronics.

teeth, we could use masking tape as insulation tape, but we are considered profesasionals and will NOT teach such bad practacies even if we do use sol dering irons at home to melt plastic or anything else, but we DO NOT suppor t these archaic and possibley dangerous practaces when it comes to teaching , you're just too stupid to undetstand teaching is different to what some a rsehole gets up to at home using their own equipment that's all.

s.

above it's glass transition point. Do you have a reference for that?

NOT HIP.

Error: conversant too stupid. Conversation cancelled.

Quite. The correct size Q-max cutter gives a perfect hole.
--
*A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

On Thursday, 8 November 2018 15:23:17 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

We bough laser cutters for such things. Q max cutters aren't much good with plastic and I've yet to see one for 3mm & 5mm up to 6.5mm for our LED's

Nice - likely beyond my means.

Eh? Work a treat on the sort of plastic used for project boxes.

Most would just use a drill for small holes. Larger ones are easier with a Q-Max.
--
*Middle age is when work is a lot less fun - and fun a lot more work.

On Thursday, 8 November 2018 19:07:15 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Proabbly the laser cutter alone is about £10k and then you need the ex traction system another few £k and it all takes up quite a bit of spac e and a PC to use it. A while ago someone used it without realising that th e extraction unit wasn;t on, someone has pushed the unit along and it switc hed off, next thing the two 60W lasers were out of alignment so we had to g eta man in to reapir it £600 in parts. Another time someone used too t hick MDF and the glue in it solidified in teh estraction system and that caused a few hundred quides worth of damage, so you see it;s best to follow instructions and if it says it can't do HIP then we donlt put HIP in it, although a student might, as they might use a soldering iron to make a hole in a plastic box. HIP isn;t a good material to use as it melts when cut meaning low accuracy cuts and possible damege to the laser cutter, so unless you have a trained technicains doing it best to aviod students using it especialy, if they bri ng the size of plastic in that is the colour and thickness they need, it;s far better to keep a stock of relible material that is know to work with th e cutter and the setting.

I couldn't find a 4.5mm or a 6.5mm one

Yes yuo say most but suggest we get a soldering iron and use that, is that really what teaching is it maybe OK as a DIYer but it;s not something I wan t to teach the students as being good practice.
As I said I provided them with one of these, with drill https://www.rapidonline.com/dremel-26150220jb-220-workstation-drill-stand-8 5-0409
and we had two similar to below. (Amazon.com product link shortened) p/B01LLQ4UJ8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid41764118&sr=8-2&keywords=mi ni+craft+drill
one has disapeared the other the PUS got dropped and broke and would theref or fail a PAT test so I have removed it from use.
We have 4 of the standard hand drill type and bits ranging from 0.2mm to to 12.7mm. A set of 3 reamers the largest being 25mm.
and you still think we should use soldering irons for making holes in plas tic boxes ?
On 06/11/2018 10:47, whisky-dave wrote:

It's for nasal cauterisation.
Bill