Solar power calculations, please help!

Why don't you read up about them?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I will do one day.

Reply to
David Paste

Although, even then It's likely I'd have been here asking if the

1 kW insolation figure is the 10% efficiency value, or PV panels are only 10% efficient from the 1 kW value!
Reply to
David Paste

e year. I am aware that solar insolation is very variable. But 49 watts per square metre? Can that really be right? Is the 200 acres the site size, or the combined size of all the panels?

not an electric train covered in PV panels would be viable. I said no, ass uming an easy to calculate figure of 10 MW for a Eurostar (wikipedia has va lues ranging from 3.4 MW to 12.2 MW). I was assuming that the *avaerage* ye arly insolation for the UK was 1kW per square metre, garnered from:

hectare = 2.47 acres of panels for one train.

are metres of roof on a 20 car set. Or 1 MW at theoretical maximum. But it won't be, will it. Curved roof, adverse weather, panel efficiency, all of t hat.

cy, but I was still staggered to see that 49 watts per square metre was the average figure used for that solar farm.

The thing is if they find that they are not paying back as forecasted to th e bank etc. the company will go bankrupt and the general public will again bail out the banks.

Reply to
zaax