solar heating

No.

It is water, the normal 'issue' is freezing of water in the piping, in Solartwin's case this is not a problem because the piping is silicone.

I'll ask HWKE

I don't think it would taste nice.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Apparently with the pump running the maximum achieved at Napier so far is

85C.

At the bottom end of the thermometer, the silicone 'rubber' piping will expand 100%, far, far more than the expansion of freezing water.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Why whould you be tasting it .. do you have to syphon it to get it started or summat?

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Indeed, that's why I mentioned "on the more efficient systems". Also I was more interested with what might happen if the pump *stopped* working (as they can) on a very hot day?

Understood ..

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Cold water is fed to the cylinder then directly to the panel and then pumped back into the cylinder. It's not an indirect system. Although hot water from the cylinder is supposed to be utterly unhygienic it's sometimes consumed and I brush my teeth in it.

Horrors!

But I'm still alive :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Why should it? It's powered by a pv panel. When it's sunny it pumps. It's guaranteed for twenty years.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'd be inclined to give it a go, not being a great believer in FUD.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

So that means there is *no chance* of it (the pump or PV panel) failing within 20 years?

Kool ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Of course not. Nor is there any chance of YOUR failing in the next 20 years.

Even kewler.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

If that's all you wash a high temperature feed is fine. The cold fill is needed for protein residue such as eggs which rinse off easily in cold water but coagulate and adhere most firmly in hot water.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Nope, I'm a bloke .. ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Dont overdesign it in the first place. Why pay more to get it to boil? In practice it doesnt happen with SDHW systems, and if it ever did the only consequence would be some steam from the overflow, which is fairly harmless.

Most systems have stagnation temps below boiling. Vac tube collectors are the exception, and theyre costly enough to preclude excessive installation power. There is also a partial compensation due to storage losses: the hotter the water, the higher the storage energy loss.

This is an issue with vac tubes. The tubes heat to above boiling, which is no problem in itself, but if circulation is restored (eg it went down due to power cut with a mains fed pump) the tubes can shatter. PV controlled setups like Mary's dont suffer from power cuts, so this issue is for the most part sidestepped. PV control does however have poorer ROI. It is of course possible for an intermittent fault to do this on a pv controlled setup, but even such a fault wont in most cases, as it would be unlikely to pump at 0% for an hour then come on full force.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I wasn't thinking of the 'normal' condition but when the pump fails / stalls? (answered later)

That's what I was wondering .. ta ;-)

Ouch .. nice repair job out on the roof ;-(

(with the thermal inertia of the water panel) a Solar eclipse, hot air balloon over the house, eagle on the PV panel? ;-)

Won't happen on Mary's for 20 years apparently (guarantee) ;-)

See above cases ;-)

All the best and thanks for the good (propper blokey) answers .. ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

It's not any more, I don't keep bees now. But although washing jars was the prime reason for buying it it always has been used for tableware as well. We wouldn't have bought it without that need and when it dies I doubt that we'll replace it because washing up isn't difficult.

Funnily enough I'm aware of that. Even girls were taught such things in my day.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah - that means you're already failing, it began on Day 1 :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

A solar eclipse is rare but has no more impact than a cloud passing over the sun.

A hot air balloon in Leeds is even rarer but the same cloud parallel applies.

An eagle would slide down the panel, it's on a slope.

The problem was the blokey question.

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Sure feels like it when it happens.

Reply to
Guy King

In 1999 all the cars put on their headlights it was so dark.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You know, some other people have said the same, and that birds go to bed and all the rest. I've watched very carefully and have never seen it happen. I do think that people believe what's said without thinking about it.

The last eclipse was a titch but it had been well publicised. We were watching it from our drive through welding masks. The postman came and asked what we were doing, he hadn't noticed it but hadn't heard of it either. Similarly with a visitor to the next door neighbour.

I certainly notice a drop in temperature and light when a cloud goes over the sun but that usually happens much quicker than an eclipse. In my experience most eclipses in England aren't visible for cloud anyway and no noticeable drop in light or heat is apparent.

Mary .>

Reply to
Mary Fisher

With a partial one that is the case. But with a total one it goes really dark and gets very cold, even more so if you are soaked by rain The usually numerous seabirds were nowhere to be seen. (Penzance 1999)

I've seen the birds flock and roost and reptiles in a blind panic bury themselves in the ground and then resume normal activity maybe 30 mins after the totality passes (Indonesia 1983)

Even the partial one in the UK a few weeks ago made the day noticeably cooler

Reply to
Matt