sodiam carbonate

Sodium carbonate is one component of the best technique for dealing with rust - electrolytic de-rusting.

But if they can't work it out with Google and any local hardware shop or even supermarket (washing soda just isn't that hard to find), then there's little hope for the OP.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

But the OP did say, and I quote: "sodiam carbonate/water/car battery", which made it look to me like he was planning to put 'sodiam carbonate' (sic) in a car battery, for some de-rusting purpose. Hence the warnings that I gave about H2SO4. It turns out he had a reasonable plan, but he did ask his question in a somewhat daft way.

R.

Reply to
Richard A Downing

From patronisingly correcting grammar to...

"Fuck off and die arsewipe."

What a nice fellow.

Reply to
RedOnRed

RedOnRed wrote

We're not at our most friendly tonight, are we? The first few responses were pretty cantankerous, too.

Reply to
mike

In message , mike writes

Probably related to the only semi-intelligble posting of the OP

Reply to
chris French

Actually it will, I use it quite a lot as the electrolyte when removing rust using electrolysis and it is a very effective technique.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Thank you for the Asda tip. I'll have a drive out. Where I live the tesco/sainsburys etc often have things out of stock. We are lucky to get cheddar cheese some days. Thanks also for the web link and that the system has been tried before.

Now, why oh why all the flack & unkind comments. Do some people enjoy getting the wrong end of the stick and then hitting the person with it.

Thanks again for the helpful comments

Reply to
technical123

A good rust removing acid is Phosphoric Acid. I have seen it referred to as a food acid. It is or used to be in Coca Cola.

A good solution is 50% Phosphoric Acid, 50% Acetone and a few drops of Fairy Liquid to act as a surfactant.

Chris.

Reply to
mcbrien410

Phosphoric acid won't remove any rust at all. It will convert some of it to phosphates (or tannates, depending on formulation). It's OK if you just want a stable black surface to paint over, but sometimes you want it removed.

Why mix it with acetone? What's the purpose?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If you'd included a term like "electrolysis" in your original post there may have been less confusion. However, the people who got the wrong end of the stick and ridiculed you do look rather stupid.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Sure I had that to drink in wine bar in London last night

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Washing soda? Normally get mine from pretty much any supermarket - a common brand is "DP Crystals". About 50p a bag IIRC - located usually by washing powders etc.

Reply to
RichardS