Socket set storage Q

I have a very good 1/2" and 3/8 socket sets ... MM/AF/WW
Both are 100% in terms of items & functionality ..
Both are in nice metal boxes ... but inside the metal box is a 'chocolate box' like plastic insert tray, into which each socket, adapter etc. fits.
These socket sets are now at least 35 years old, and the plastic trays are falling apart.
Anybody come up with a neat way to replace them ?

Rick Hughes wrote:

I persuaded my dad, a great woodworker in his day, to make a wooden insert. That was thirty years ago and it's still fine. He used spring clips for the long bits.
Bill
On 06/06/2014 20:02, Bill Wright wrote:

I did think od doing that using 3/" mdf ..... the issue is all the different diam holes .... unless you use an adjustable bit and cut right through, even then ... likelihood of breakout ... gaps between sockets are quite small.
Maybe I could wrap sockets in cling film, place out neatly and try pouring a resin in around them.

Bill Wright wrote:

You beat me to it Bill, I made my own tray out timber and pop-riveted that to the base of the metal box, and that was around 30 years or more ago and it's still going strong - but I must admit, my children use the set far more than I do now.
Cash

Metal strips with spring grips to take the 1/2" or 3/8" socket drive are available. Don't know where though:-)
--
Tim Lamb

On Friday, June 6, 2014 8:53:49 PM UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:

I think I got them in Eurocarparts, not sure though. Screwed to a shadow board, metal box binned. Sockets bought in 1978 still going. You could probably pop-rivet the metal strip thing into the box, with terry clips for the wrenches and extension bars.

Here we are... http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?gotonode=DoProductSearch&method =mProductSearch&productdescription=&productcode=&category=7&catgroup40& catmicrogroup17&analysiscode=&requiredresults&fulltext=0
golly. What a long url. Search on *socket retaining rail*

--
Tim Lamb

If the existing inserts can be cobbed together enough you could use them as moulds for a GRP moulding on the reverse side. You may have to support the shape with PU foam or plaster of Paris whilst laying up. Just test the pla stic to see if it will react with the polyester resin.
Richard

Try this one

--
Tim Lamb

On 06/06/2014 21:09, Tim Lamb wrote:

Have a few of them of 'special ' sockets (Torx, Alklen etc)
Was looking to keep socket set in metal case.

http://www.tooled-up.com/brandsubcat/sealey/socket-rails/seal/924/
Darren

+1
Mine are the same age; but in my case somebody managed to drop the case on a hard floor, which didn't harm anything except the insert, which was pulverised by the shifting weights.
I've lived with it like that ever since. Isn't it ridiculous that you can buy a socket set and case that will last for decades, but the manufacturers scrimp on the insert like this?
I wondered about some form of that plasticine/liquid metal type stuff that you could fill the case with and mould around the sockets etc; however I've only ever seen hideously expensive stuff. If there was a cheaper version available...?
--
David

On 07/06/2014 09:23, Lobster wrote:

That was my though wrapping them with cling film to act as mold release .. juts not sure what product to 'pour'

On Sat, 07 Jun 2014 08:23:54 +0000, Lobster wrote:

I'd probably want to get a nice thick piece of wood and drill holes for each sicket, as an insert.
I'd have to buy all of the wood bits, probably.
Then I'd want to have something to keep *them* in...
Rick Hughes wrote:

I got given a nice old jewellery box which I decided to put my assorted torx & Allen bits in. Took a piece of high density foam cut to fit and then melted vertical holes in it with a piece of blowtorch heated 22mm copper pipe.
Sounds like you want them horizontal, but the approach would still work (bits of pipe cut to an inch long say and then melt depressions.)
--
Scott

On 07/06/2014 11:41, Scott M wrote:

No I would prefer to keep them vertical .. as they are now.
Another thought I'll consider - Ta

What about a block of the dense foam that's use in camera cases? It's relatively easy to cut apertures into, it grips well, and it wouldn't matter if the sizes and shapes weren't absolutely correct, since it's stretchy.
On an American show about two years ago, one of these was made from some kind of epoxy, using the actual bits to create the moulds. I was not paying much attention at the time but I guess it could work y if you are careful to bung up the centres first! Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Bill Wright" < snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com> wrote in message

Horrible things - the sockets just fall off too easily.
--
*Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?*

I'd agree with that