So, how are solar PVPs fixed (proper and cowboy) ?

Driving through my village today, I glanced up at some monstrous PVP installations about the size of a football field on a couple of roofs. It occurred to me to wonder how exactly these are fixed to the roof underneath, and I'm thinking that there is probably an industry 'proper' way, and a 'cowboy' way.

When I looked at these installations, they seemed to be spaced a good several inches above the tiles, which were 'standard' concrete types. Given that in general, these are 'loose-laid', and the PVPs are presumably fixed directly to them, does this gap between the tiles and the panel underside not represent a serious wind hazard ? It actually doesn't take a particularly high wind to move loose-fitted roof tiles on their own, so I'm thinking that with a bloody great sail above and fixed to them ... ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

In message , Arfa Daily writes

This could be why Harry's house was last seen at 10.000 feet heading for Rockall

Reply to
geoff

I'd hope they are fixed to something more substantial than roof times or there would be a heck of a lot on the floor by now! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

How is the burger place going?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

He's just shut the loft hatch else I'd have nipped up and took a photo (OK I exagerate, I'd have crawled up the ladder crying, and then not been able to get the camera to take a photo - I do not like ladders) I think it's long metal batten on the inside. Even with the mega winds when they were fitted and since there have been no issues.

Reply to
mogga

Hi Dave

Mr W emailed me direct the other day to ask me exactly the same thing, as it's been exactly a year since we opened it ! It's doing OK, thanks. Could be better, but paying its way, which in today's climate is probably about the best you could ask for. All the usual problems with staff reliability, and customers who can't read a menu ( do you do fish ? Errr no, we do burgers ... The chip shop is 4 doors down ... )

Got some new varieties though, and now doing onion rings as well. Also cheesy chips, cheesy bacon chips and chilli chips. All very popular. Counter is still standing and undamaged, so I must have got the design and construction of that right :-)

Thanks for your continued interest. Appreciated

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Slide tile up, screw metal bracket to rafter, slide tile back down, repeat as often as needed, fix rails to brackets, fix panels to rails.

Any grinding of tiles is to be avoided, as is fixing through tiles.

Ah-ha ! There's a nice shortcut for the cowboys, then ... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily