So here's the problem....

One of my hobbies is doll making. Porcelain arms, legs, head and shoulder plate. Soft stuffed body.

The arms and legs, once fully fired are quite robust, yes they will break if you're careless, or drop them, but it ain't a case of kid glove treatment once they're finally fired. The body is given shape with a stiff aluminium wire armature, which helps to pose the doll.

The arms and legs are first filled with bits of polystyrene packing shapes, well squashed in, then the armature is pushed firmly into the polystyrene. At present I glue a calico disk over the top of the arm or leg, with a hole cut rooughly centre to hold the armature more or less centrally in place.

What I'd like to do is use some form of slightly flexible potting compound, say 1/2 to 3/4" deep in place of the calico, something that will cure quite quickly, say within 1/2 hour and will keep the poly packing in place and hold the armature central in the arm or leg.

I had thought of plaster of paris, but I'm a bit wary of that coz there's no give whatsoever in the PofP, so posing arms or legs might place a strain within the capping, which if there's no slight flexibility, could cause the porcelain to crack.

Anybody got any thoughts of a suitable type of potting compound, just a little bit of flexibility and quick setting, and likely sources.

Stuff is available in the US, but I haven't come across anything that looks a likely candidate this side of the water.

Reply to
The Wanderer

What about hot melt glue?

Reply to
Paul ( Skiing8 )

Yup, good idea, I'll have to experiment with that, although I can perhaps foresee some problems with getting a decent thickness (1/2 to 3/4") of adhesive that is not stratified or layered.

It's amazing how, when you become fixated on a particular solution, you suddenly become incapable of a bit of lateral thinking.......

Reply to
The Wanderer

Terrifying.

Car body filler (filled styrene resin) is both fast setting and fairly resilient when set. No limitations on thickness etc.

Reply to
Grunff

There are potting compounds available for potting electronic equipment.

Try

or

HTH

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton

'Solvent-free' builders' (gripfill-type) adhesive sets to a slightly rubbery consistency, though it might take longer than 1/2 hour to go off as much as you like.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Solithane is one I remember using.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

Plaster of paris has sod all strength. I'd try silicone, either on its own or maybe mixed with sand, and put the items in an oven at suitable temp for fast dry. I think you can heat poly to around 85C or so, and I bet the silly would dry miles quicker at 60C.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Silicone does not dry, it reacts with moisture in the air, to cure.

However, you can make acetoxy cure (the stuff that smells like vinegar) set in a couple of minutes by mixing it with damp chalk dust, or some other alkali.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Aha! Now, I cant think of an application... apart from dolls arms, which has nothing to do with diy.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I can. Moulds. Take object to be moulded. Paint with wax or vaseline, or ... Now, take tube of silicone, squirt into a bowl. Take wet chalk dust, and mix about a spoonfull into the silicone, stirring thourougly to mix (without getting excessive air in. Now, in about 5-10 min, you've got a nice bendy mould.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Just for plaster mouldings, or is there more you can do with this? Dont think Ive ever moulded anything for diy so far.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Your imagination is the limit. The silicone will degrade at some 250C or so, so basically anything under that can be used. Plaster, cement, pewter, wax, jelly, ice, ...

(For cement, it cures amazingly rapidly in an oven at 80C, made up with boiling water)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

It is unfortunately, Im coming up with almost nothing.

Lets see... copying decorative concrete work, ditto ornate plaster coving... my brain cell just isnt firing on this one.

NT

Reply to
bigcat